Cyberpunk 2077

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I am super interested in this one!

https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/

Cyberpunk 2077 is an upcoming role-playing video game developed and published by CD Projekt. Adapted from the tabletop game Cyberpunk 2020, it is set fifty-seven years later in dystopian Night City, California, an open world in which players assume the role of "V".

Using the REDengine 4 game engine, more staff members worked on Cyberpunk 2077 than worked on CD Projekt Red's previous game The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. The developer also launched a new division, CD Projekt Red Wrocław, to support the game's development.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Ooh that interview makes me even more keen for this game! :D I'm still playing The Witcher III (clearly loving it) and one of my favourite films is The Fifth Element, so I think this game will be one I sink a lot of time into. Can't wait to hear more about it.

I love how there was a reference to Cyberpunk 2077 in The Witcher III too, details like that always make me smile.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
CDPR have released the concept art from behind the trailer...

"Doing business"
Cyberpunk2077_Doing_Business_RGB_1528914931.png

"Not dead yet"
Cyberpunk2077_Not_Dead_Yet_RGB_1528914889.png

"On the red carpet"
Cyberpunk2077_On_the_Red_Carpet_RGB_1528914854.png

"Street life"
Cyberpunk2077_Street_Life_RGB_1528914973.png

"Trauma team in action"
Cyberpunk2077_Trauma_Team_in_Action_RGB_1528914952.png

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/21044/concept-art-from-the-trailer

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Details from IGN's preview.
  • CD Projekt describes the game as a "first-person RPG."
  • Gameplay is in first a first-person perspective, but switched to third-person during a cutscene.
  • You play a character named V (as in the letter).
  • V can be a man or a woman.
  • The stats you pick at the start include Strength, Constitution, Intelligence, Reflexes, Tech, and Cool.
  • These stats are all pulled from the original tabletop RPG.
  • There are no classes at the start. Instead, you evolve the class you want to be as you play instead of picking a role.
  • You can drive cars in the game, and seemingly toggle between first and third person during this.
  • While driving in first-person, the U.I. appears diegetically on the windshield.
  • You can engage in combat while driving -- AI took over steering as you lean out the window and shoot at enemies.
  • CD Projekt also described Cyberpunk as a "mature experience intended for mature audiences."
  • The goal is for you to not only engage with the game world, but with its inhabitants.
  • Like Witcher, you take missions from NPCs and have dialogue options in conversations.
  • It's an open world that you open up more with "street cred." For example, a specific jacket might raise it by 5%, allowing you access to new places.
  • Completing a quest levels up your street cred.
  • The UI in the demo is extremely minimal at -- just a light compass and a small quest log.
  • UI expands during combat -- enemies have names, health bars, and what appear to be levels.
  • Some enemies have question marks instead of levels, possibly meaning they're much higher level than you.
  • Damage numbers pop up during combat.
  • There's a bullet-time-like ability that allows you to slow down time.
  • CD Projekt keeps emphasizing that choices have consequences, in the moment and to the world at large.
  • Obstacles have several solutions depending on your skills. For example, V got to a door, but his hacking skill was too low. However, his engineering skill was high enough, so he could open a panel and bypass the door.
  • There's an inspection system lets you look super close at items and learn more about lore.
  • You use an inhaler to heal.
  • Gunplay feels slower than Doom or Borderlands, but faster than Fallout 4.
  • CD Projekt showed off some late-game abilities, including mantis-like blade arms and wall running.
  • We saw a boss fight against a dude in an exoskeleton. This included sliding under cars and taking cover.

It all sounds very good! :thumb:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Sounds awesome! I'm looking forward to this far more than I am Fallout 76. I just wish we knew a release date! Surely must be next year?? I'm hoping so :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Gameplay footage! :thumb:

I'm not usually one for first-person, but this looks awesome :nod:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Someone on Reddit spotted that there's a single frame after the demo with a letter from the developers...

Sorry to have kept you waiting for this for so long!

Did you like what you saw? Because for us, the fact that we're finally showing you Cyberpunk 2077 is HUGE. Please go to our forums, twitter, facebook, discord, and do tell what you think. Is the game world how you imagined? Do you see what we meant by "immersion" when we talked about CP2077 being an FPP RPG? How does our vision of "cyberpunk by day" make you feel? We really want to know.

Aside from that, we think we owe you a few words of explanation on why we're showing you this gameplay now, some time after industry professionals and media saw it at E3 and gamescom.

Each time we discussed the idea of showing the game to you (and we discussed this idea a lot), we were ending up in this "we're not 100% sure" limbo. Why? Because (for most people), when a game dev shows gameplay footage from their game, it means that this is how the game is going to look or play like. It's not the case here. Cyberpunk 2077 is deep in development. We have a lot of design ideas, a lot of mechanics being playtested, but we don't know what we'll end up with at launch. This makes publishing videos like what you just saw risky --we don't want gamers saying 'but in that previous video that gun was shooting differently', or 'why did you change the interface?'. Change is inherent to game development and there's a ton of things being modified each day. Our fear was (and kind of still is) that you'll think what you just saw is how Cyberpunk 2077 will look like 1:1.

What gave us that extra confidence to show you a work in progress game? Good initial feedback from people who are accustomed to see games at various stages of development. What they told us (and they told us they really liked what they saw) gave us the boost we needed to show the current version of Cyberpunk 2077 to the most passionate and insightful audience --you.

So... here's what Cyberpunk 2077 looks like today (or rather looked like when we recorded the video). We sincerely hope you liked it.

Again, thank you for your patience and all the thoughts you shared with us.

Yours,

CD PROJEKT RED

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh man, this looks like it could be so good! :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I love the Keanu reveal!!

Also the whole "You're breathtaking!" thing was adorable and hilarious :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It does look good but release is more than 10 months away :(

I'll start taking an interest on New Years Day I think.

Wonder how much it'll cost?

For now, I'll just look forward to September 19th this year.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Delayed until September.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's a real shame... I've been excited about this game for a long while. However, it's better to have it polished than a buggy release. CDPR haven't disappointed yet, so I'm sure it's for a very good reason.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I caved in and pre ordered this a couple of days ago. Its the first game I've bought in ages but it looks great.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Let us know what you think when you've had a chance to try it! I'm torn between getting it for PC or Xbox Series X, but think the PC version may be more suited with the keyboard and mouse.

Where'd you get it from, Steam?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah Steam for me, GOG was slightly cheaper but I'd rather not have to bother with yet another game management program.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How are you finding it @V_R?

Just read this press statement from the developers... pretty bad that they're offering people refunds as soon as it's out!

EpLqtZ8XEAIEqsX.jpg

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Indeed.... Not great.

I'm glad I didn't buy it on PS4 or XB1 sounds like it runs like absolute crap - I would be seeking a refund without doubt.

For the most part it runs ok on my PC, but I must say the gameplay isn't as good as I was expecting or hoping. The AI is dim as dim can be for a start. I played a bit last night and thought to myself I'm going to wait for it to be patched a few times after reading that I think that is the best idea.

The CP2077 subreddit is carnage! https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/

Ask a Question