Customize Outlook Today - Doesn't in Outlook 2000

William Tulloch

I had some one ask me to fix their "Customize Outlook Today" as it had stopped
working. In Outlook 2000 it is the button near the top right of the page you get by
pressing the Outlook Today Icon in the Outlook shortcuts toolbar.

After trying for a while, I then tried to see if it worked on My PC... It didn't,
and nor did it work on ANY of the half dozen I've tried since. I know it DID work at
some time in the past,
but some Windows update or IE patch must have broken it.

I get the same result with Outlook 2000, SR-1 and SP-3 and both on Windows 98 and
Windows XP.

Anyone know how to fix it ?
Or what broke it ?

William

Rifleman

William Tulloch said:
I had some one ask me to fix their "Customize Outlook Today" as it had stopped
working. In Outlook 2000 it is the button near the top right of the page you get by
pressing the Outlook Today Icon in the Outlook shortcuts toolbar.

After trying for a while, I then tried to see if it worked on My PC... It didn't,
and nor did it work on ANY of the half dozen I've tried since. I know it DID work at
some time in the past,
but some Windows update or IE patch must have broken it.

I get the same result with Outlook 2000, SR-1 and SP-3 and both on Windows 98 and
Windows XP.

Anyone know how to fix it ?
Or what broke it ?

William

this must be the second most asked and replied to question after "OE denies
access to the following unsafe attachment". Did you not do ANY research
before posting?

A google search (www.google.com) on "cannot customize outlook today" returns
*40,500* hits. And guess what is at the VERY top?

Cannot Customize Outlook Today
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=820575

William Tulloch

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook
Subject: Re: Customize Outlook Today - Doesn't in Outlook 2000
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 09:20:47 -0000

this must be the second most asked and replied to question after "OE denies
access to the following unsafe attachment". Did you not do ANY research
before posting?

A google search (www.google.com) on "cannot customize outlook today" returns
*40,500* hits. And guess what is at the VERY top?

Cannot Customize Outlook Today
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=820575

Thanks for the reply, I thought it was probably an MS bodge :)

I did search the Outlook 2000 MS Knowledge Base, and several other MS areas
but found nothing. Why don't MS put this type of thing in their Knowledge Base
in the correct place !!! Without the KBID I can't find it even now.

I also searched the last 100 messages in this forum, all to no avail.

I never thought of a simple Google search. Thanks again

PS. I see there is no sensible Fix, unless you effectively disable the
"Critical Update" which is probably unwise.

William

JC

Your responce is very inappropriate. Microsoft shouldn't
make someone feel dumb for looking to Microsoft for an
answer. Telling us to look elsewhere for the answer when
Microsoft messed up is just a way upset customers and is
just rude. If Microsoft knew about this problem, they
should have posted an answer on their site!

Sincerely,

Unhappy IT Person

Rifleman

JC said:
Your responce is very inappropriate.

Why? Not inappropriate at all. If you do not know how to spell a word, do
you not look at a dictionary?

William Tulloch

Thanks for your support JC.

I do think it a bit odd that the solution is found in the MS Knowledge
Base, yet a search of the Outlook 2000 area of said KB fails to show up
any reference to the problem.

I am still grateful to Rifleman for pointing me to said article, and
effectively pointing out that MS is not the place to look for support
in the first place.

MS are obviously not concerned with helping users of older products and
would prefer that when their patches cause bugs that you simply
upgrade. Unfortunately this is not economical for most users and is
probably why Open systems have a chance to compete.

I have had a similar problem where the Office 2000 SP-3 has broken
Frontpage 2000 when running under Windows 98, and it seems MS don't
care as Win98 is out of date.

William