Custom computer placement in AD tree depending on computer name??

G

Hi.. I work as an admin for a big company with lots of computers and locations. The goal for our project is to make / produce a custom RIS / Unattended WinXP install that will be fully automated but, and here it comes

1. Prior to the windows setup lanuched we want to be able to answer some questions like: in which country this computer is installed, location in that country, language and / or if it is a laptop / dektop. Then we wanna dump those answers into the .sif file for the fully automated install
2. Depending on what facts we answered in #1, we must see to that the computer object will be placed in a specific OU and in a specific domain to eliminate the manual part of rearranging the computer objects as installed by an ordinary RIS installation, where as I can only supply one location / OU / RIS server

Anyone ever heard of something like this and if yes... did u use some kind of 3:rd party software since MS does not facilitate these options?? In other words, a fully generic answer file that "forsee" the right AD placement of the computer object and type based on the questions answered in #1 ??

U

Uncle Stewie

I did something similar (not exactly) to this for GE Medical Systems in Milwaukee...

Fully automated installation system... I can help if you contact me directly...

Stew Basterash
Consultant

Ask a Question