Curing Infections

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I have gone back to using Avast as my AV system, having had all sorts of problems with AntiVir. Avast immediately picked up two Trojans, which had not been detected by aSquared Free or AntiVir.They were Win32:trojan-gen and Win32:spyware-gen.I was given three options, Delete, Move to Chest (quarantine) and Repair.

Questions are a) does deleting get rid of the problem completely and if so, what is the point of the other options?
b) what happens when something is put in the Chest?
c) what exactly does Repair mean (as opposed to deleting the problem)?

As usual the Help section is of very little help. Can anyone suggest what might be the best option to use in this case.

Many thanks.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The free version of Ant-Vir only detects viruses, not Trojans.

Which I guess may make Avast a better choice although using Ant-Vir in conjunction with other programs such as Ad-Aware and Windows Defender is a good combination.

The functions:

Delete: As it says.

Quarantine: Isolates the nasty, in case you want to send it to an AV software supplier for analysis, for instance. A bit like the swab the man with the white coat takes after returning from one of those 18-30 holidays :eek:

Repair: I'm really not sure myself what this means but I'd hazard a guess it deletes the main Trojan executable plus any instructions the Trojan may have planted elsewhere within your Operating System, such as the Start Up folder.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Quarantine: Isolates the nasty, in case you want to send it to an AV software supplier for analysis, for instance. A bit like the swab the man with the white coat takes after returning from one of those 18-30 holidays :eek:

Love the analogy, Flops. :lol:

Deleting presumably gets rid of the Trojan but does it get rid of the effects of the Trojan? If it doesn't then Repair would seem to be the answer every time as it will cover all angles ( then why have Delete?)
Life is never simple.

Maybe I shoule Delete AND Repair.
icon11.gif

Reaction score
assuming a microsoft word document, "my.doc" for this example:

delete erases my.doc from the hard drive

quarantine puts my.doc in a folder not normally accessable

repair removes the macro from my.doc allowing you to use it.

Ask a Question