-----Original Message-----
From: Nicholas [mailto:[email protected]]
Posted At: 29. juli 2004 20:37
Posted To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
Conversation: CSS layout degrading
Subject: CSS layout degrading

I am just starting to get into CSS layout and can't figure out how to
make it fail correctly. The templates I've seen show clean,
default-formatted text in the FP Normal view, which is what I presume a
non-CSS browser would show.
My page, on the other hand, shows a major mess in the Normal view that
is trying to follow the styles.
What am I missing? The page looks great in FP Preview, IE6 & NN7 and the
CSS validates through W3C. FP 2000.

Nicholas

I'm actually going to get Go Live (whether I like it or
not).

I always post messages to these forums and then figure out
the answer 30 seconds later.

The fix, for FP at least, is to bring the styles in with
this type of statement.

< style type="text/css"
media="screen">@import "css/fonts.css";</style>

As opposed to this:

< link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="css/fonts.css">

I guess it's the media="screen"

Stefan B Rusynko

It's not the media type, it's the @import that older browsers don't support
- see http://www.eskimo.com/~bloo/indexdot/css/syntax/atrules/atrules.htm
and
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/topics/media.htm

--

| I'm actually going to get Go Live (whether I like it or
| not).
|
| I always post messages to these forums and then figure out
| the answer 30 seconds later.
|
| The fix, for FP at least, is to bring the styles in with
| this type of statement.
|
| < style type="text/css"
| media="screen">@import "css/fonts.css";</style>
|
| As opposed to this:
|
| < link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
| href="css/fonts.css">
|
| I guess it's the media="screen"

chris leeds

I've done it where you use the @media to hide the .css from old browsers.
the idea is you put a line of text at the bottom of every page like "you're
seeing an unformatted version of this page because the .css file failed to
load due to technical difficulties, or you're using a very old browser" then
make the text a span like .warning {display:none;} on the style sheet. so
if the .css loads no warning, if it doesn't, warning visible.

HTH

--
Chris Leeds,
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

The email address on this posting is a "black hole". I got tired of all the
spam.
Please feel free to contact me here:
http://nedp.net/contact/