CRT->LCD->SED?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Those who bought the LCD displays recently thinking that now is the time as most of the teething problems are sorted are in for a surprise when they find out it is already obsolete. Canon and Toshiba announce new flat screen display which they call SED (Surface-conduction Emission Display).

Canon and Toshiba have teamed up to produce this new flat-screen technology which will be superior to current displays available today. The three main improvements are:

• Response time - slower response times found on LCD displays can lead to ghosting.
  • Contrast ratio - reported to be 100.000:1, the best LCDs currently only have a contrast ratio of 1000:1.
  • Viewing angle - up to 180º, LCD screens can appear dark if they are not viewed straight-on.
SED (Surface-conduction Emission Display) works by using a thin film of Palladium Oxide as an electron emitter which strike a layer of phosphor, just like in a traditional CRT screen. Electrons are emitted at each sub-pixel, and so higher resolution and contrast is achievable. None of the problems associated with LCD screens should affect this technology either because phosphors are illuminated instead of using a backlit display as found in LCDs.

The greater clarity of these new displays will be ideal for photographers and graphic artists, for whom colour accuracy is critical.

Canon hope to be able to market this innovation in the form of televisions by winter 2007. Canon have refused to comment on when this technology will be available for computer monitors, only saying, "There are plans for production, but no details of (SED) monitors can be released at this time."

Source: ePhotozine

Two to three decades back any new technology was allowed to mature and would last a decade. The way new technology is being adopted we will not have any one maturing and we would have to abandon it before we can reap the rewards. The consumer is surely the loser since the develpment cost is also paid by them and not those who introduce it.

Attachments

• 2891_1144750927.jpg
    2891_1144750927.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 2,277

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Very interesting Quad! There are so many new display mediums on the horizon, so I'm looking forward to their debut! :)

Screens printed on paper, SED, OLED, auto-stereoscopic LCD - I can't wait :D

Reaction score
Sorry to be Mr Thicky, but can you explain in layman terms the difference between them all;)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
1. CRT now
2.SED (but will be no 1 soon)
3.LCD

Only my opinion :thumb:

Last edited:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
murdoch said:
Sorry to be Mr Thicky, but can you explain in layman terms the difference between them all;)

SED technology is still to be introduced and very little information is available as both Canon and Toshiba are tight lipped about it. However, here is a comparison of LCD vs CRT which may help you understand the two technologies better.

LCD vs CRT

:)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
That review is 2 years old Quad......most of those things are just not applicable anymore as the quality of an Lcd over Crt is just so much better now.....

Had a friend who would not part with his trusty 17" Dell CRT Flatscreen, he swore by it and said no Lcd could match its clarity and colour correctness...I took my 19" widescreen round his house and set it up next to his Crt both pictures from the same Graphics card....

He was absolutely blown away by the clarity of my Lcd screen, and said his Crt looked like someone had placed a net curtain over it, thats how poor it was in relation to my Lcd display...with a 4 millisecond response time he loved gaming on it as well.....

Needless to say the Crt hit the dirt and a brand new 17" Lcd panel was in it's place a week later.....

Reaction score
Yep I agree. My £350 CRT cannot manage the same quality as my £180 TFT.

The TFT is by far the better picture. And i'm constantly told by others the same when they see it too!

Reaction score
Sure is something to look forward too... after so long.... after kodak release their OLED, now is canon turn to change the moniter market!!!

Ask a Question