Creative Modem Blaster PCI Value DI5652-1

S

Stewart Berman

I had a machine running Windows XP Pro SP3 that I wanted to run Vista Ultimate on. Before I did
that I ran the Vista Upgrade Advisor. It said:

Hard disk free space "C:"
Before installing Windows Vista, increase your hard disk space Your hard disk currently has
417.72 MB of free space. You need 15 GB of free hard disk space to install Windows Vista on
this drive. Do one of the following:

Remove unwanted files to create additional free hard disk space.
Upgrade your hard disk to increase its capacity. We recommend at least 40 GB for Windows
Vista.
Contact your computer manufacturer or retailer to see if an upgrade is available.

Optionally, you can install Windows Vista on another disk drive Although you cannot upgrade,
you can install Windows Vista on disk drives:

Creative Modem Blaster PCI Value DI5652-1 Creative No action required

Since there wasn't enough room for an upgrade, I installed Vista on another drive but I cannot get
the modem to work properly

Under Windows XP the modem provided voice and fax capability.

However, Windows Vista now shows the modem as an In-Build CX11252 modem without voice capability.

When I try to install the driver from the CD that came with the modem it says it cannot find the
modem. Unfortunately, the driver is not available without running the installation software.

I can still boot the Windows XP system on the same machine. Is there anyway to extract the driver
from the Windows XP system and install it on the Windows Vista system?

S

Stewart Berman

The description says it is for the DI5656. The actual file that downloads is for the DI5663A. My
modem is a DI5652-1.

I will try it the next time I boot in Vista and let you know if it works.

S

Stewart Berman

I tried the driver download and it said it could not find the modem. I assume this was because the
driver is for a DI5656 and I have a DI5652-1.

So the question still is can I extract the driver files from my Windows XP Pro SP3 system and
install them on Vista Ultimate SP1? If so how do I extract the driver files?

S

Stewart Berman

I guess you didn't read the license agreement you agreed to while you installed.

the program can transmit information about the computer to the web site (including: information
about driver updates, information about unknown hardware, information about your computer's
installed hardware).

The program or the Agent may show an ad window from time to time

In exchange for these benefits, you must share with the
community the drivers already installed on your computer

the Agent will automatically upload a copy of your drivers to the
web site.

IOW, when you accepted the EUL you agreed that they could upload information from your machine and
also upload ANY drivers you have -- even ones you had to pay for like virtual devices -- and make
them available on their site. I assume you have an outbound firewall and did not give the
application permission to access the internet so you know for sure that they are not uploading
information and drivers from your machine.

How often do you use the package?

S

Stewart Berman

I assume this means you don't care at all about the security of your machine or if you are
contributing to copyright violations.

As to quoting the original message I believe it contained your statement:
"You are SO fulla crap. I downloaded the program months ago for a
different reason and used the program myself. No adware, no ads,
nothing."

Whereas the license you accepted specifically says:
I suggest you use the beanie when you stick your head in the sand. The rest of use will use a
firewall and safe computing practices.

Ask a Question