Creating a Active directory backup plan!!

Nangel

I do have about 7 servers and 100 computers. All of the
server are Windows 2000. One of them is used as the
active directory. This server is also used as the DNS
server and the DHCP server. What I would like to do is to
create a contingency plan for this server. If the primary
serve fails I would like to have a secondary server able
to take over the functions of the active directory, DNS
and DCHP server. Some thing like a Backup Domain
Controller in Window NT 4.0.

Could anybody help me with this issue please? Thank you
in advance for your cooperation with this matter.

Richard Moreno

Hi-

In any domain the recommended minimum number of DC's is 2. That is for
redundancy\backup. That will take care of your contingency plan for AD.
Regarding DNS, if you use AD-Integrated zones in your DNS and then install
DNS on your 2nd DC you've accomplished redundancy there. As for DHCP, you
have a few options: do an 80\20 split per MS whitepapers, backup your DHCP
database and have DHCP installed and activated in AD yet disabled on DC2. In
the event of DC1 failing, merely import the database into DC2 and enable the
service.

Those are just a few options.

Richard Moreno
MCSE NT4\2000, MCSA 2000

*This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

Kevin Bowersock

You may also want to look over :

Windows 2000 Server Disaster Recovery Guidelines.
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/library/operations/fileandprint/recove
ry.asp>

241594 HOW TO: Perform an Authoritative Restore to a Domain Controller
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=241594

238369 HOW TO: Promote and Demote Domain Controllers in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=238369

Enjoy!

(e-mail address removed)