Create website back end access

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need to build a website for someone where they can update the site is a non-techy way.

For instance, i have access to this site www.fisheroutdoor.co.uk administration site so i can update their images, text, news etc on admin.fisheroutdoor.co.uk

How do i create a website that allows admin access to update images and text without messing up my code?

Reaction score
ok, i found out you have to write some code that sends information to a database that allows a user to change images etc.

fair enuf but is there an easier way? can i get a ready made database and edit that myself?

Reaction score
ok how about finding where i can get info on how to build a database driven website? (preferably free tuition :D)

what i'd like to achieve is:

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Build a working Content Management System
Add, edit & delete Web content without using HTML[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]
Setup automatic backups of your database
Increase your database security
Optimize the loading time of your Website
Build an ecommerce shopping cart
Automatically send email on triggered events
Handle file uploads using HTML forms
Build a Web-based file repository or photo gallery
Utilize sessions and cookies to track site visitors
Master MySQL Database Administration
[/size][/font][/size][/font]

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
You could try using a CMS (Content management System) like Joomla www.joomla.org

I use this for a number of sites I manage for clients, and it has all the features you want, and files can be edited on a permission basis via either a frontend or backend/administrator interface.

There are also many plugins/components/modules available to further customize features and interfaces.

Reaction score
cool!!! thanks for that

i need to create a new user and a new database for Joomla! on mySQL - how do i do that?

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
what kind of hosting package do you use? Is it cpanel hosting?
If it is, I can help.
If it isn't, I still might be able to help.

PM me if you need more help.

Reaction score
not sure i know what you mean cache-man, i'm new to all this

Joomla! provided me with an installation package (which i couldnt find before) so i'm up and running now but i wanna get rid of the template that's already on there. how easy/hard is it to design a template?

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
templates can be quite tricky sometimes to perfect, especially for all browsers.
Your best bet is to have a look at the templates on somewhere like www.joomlaya.com and find a template thats closesst to your desired layout, and then modify that one.

Or if you fancy building one from scratch, and are familiar with dreamweaver, then you can get a dreamweaver plugin from Mambosolutions (see here http://www.mambosolutions.com/dw_tutorial/ , the plugin works the same for mambo and for joomla as they are essentially the same CMS) that is able to paste in all the necesarry blocks of code for a joomla template.

I've done a few joomla/mambo templates in the past, so if you still need any help then let me know.

One thing to note, if you build a template from scratch you will still have to create a CSS file (or copy another one and customize it) for all the joomla classes - there are quite a lot.

Reaction score
thanks cache-man! that's helped lots.

i'd really like to have a go at designing my own template (familiar with using Dreamweaver) so i'll give those downloads a try.

if i get stuck i'll know where to come! :D

Ask a Question