Create Shortcut (Setup question..)

I_AM_DON_AND_YOU?

There is one more problem I am facing but didn't get the solution. In my
Setup Program I am not been able to create 2 things (when the program is
intalled on the client machine ) : (1) create shortcut to my program/utility
(2) Entry in Windows' Start --> Program Menu.

Actually in my VB.Net solution I have two projects (1) MYPROGRAM (2)
MYPROGRAM_INSTALLER. MYPROGRAM is a "Windows Application".
MYPROGRAM_INSTALLER is a "SetUp Wizard" project.

Although on "File System Editor" in the Solution Explorer I can see (1)
Application Folder (2) User's Desktop and (3) User's Program Menu. But some
how I am not been able to create short cuts for Start Menu and Users'
Desktop.

May be you can tell me in simple steps....

Thanks in advance!

David Guyer [MS]

If you want to create a shortcut to those folders, just right-click and
select "Create Shortcut". You can do that for nearly any file/folder in the
File System Editor. Then, just drag them to where you want them to be
installed to. The User's Programs Menu is basically the Start menu.

I_AM_DON_AND_YOU?

Hi David

Thanks for your reply.

I have a VB.Net Solution comprising of two projects (1) MYPROGRAM (2)
MYPROGRAM_INSTALLER.

When I click the File-System Editor and click "User's Desktop" and then
right click to "Create New Shortcut" I have been asked to as to for which
file I have create shortcut. When I select "Application Folder" then I get
"Primary output from MYPROGRAM (active)" file.

Now my question which file's shortcut I have to create.... Actually I
created shortcut of MYPROGRAM.EXE file in MYPROGAM\obj\Release directory.
And when I installed the program. It copied two MYPROGRAM.exe. The first
one in the directory where I installed the program and the second one in
Document Settings--> Administrator -->Start Menu-->Programs.

Should I create the shortcut for PRIMARY OUTPUT FROM MYPROGRAM (Active)?
...... What is this "primary output from MyProgram (active) ??

Thanks in advance!

Todd Derksen [MSFT]

The "Primary output from MYPROGRAM (active)" refers to the output of building the MYPROGRAM project, probably MYPROGRAM.exe, active refers to
the type of build e.g. debug or release, active meaning the one that is currently active. This is what you want to create the shortcut to.
To create the shortcut, you want to find the file in the file system editor, probably under the Application folder.
Select the file (Primary output from MYPROGRAM (active)), right-click on it and that will bring up a menu with "Create Shortcut to Primary output from
MYPROGRAM (active)"
Clicking on this will create a shortcut to this file in the current folder.
You will want to drag this shortcut to the User's Program Menu to add it to the Windows Start --> Program Menu.
If you want to create another shortcut you can copy this shortcut or create another one as was done above and place it in another folder such as User's
Desktop.
I hope that clears everything up.

---
Todd Derksen- VBQA Deployment Testing
rights.
--------------------
| From: "I_AM_DON_AND_YOU?" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Create Shortcut (Setup question..)
| Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:57:57 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb
|
| Hi David
|
| Thanks for your reply.
|
| I have a VB.Net Solution comprising of two projects (1) MYPROGRAM (2)
| MYPROGRAM_INSTALLER.
|
| When I click the File-System Editor and click "User's Desktop" and then
| right click to "Create New Shortcut" I have been asked to as to for which
| file I have create shortcut. When I select "Application Folder" then I get
| "Primary output from MYPROGRAM (active)" file.
|
| Now my question which file's shortcut I have to create.... Actually I
| created shortcut of MYPROGRAM.EXE file in MYPROGAM\obj\Release directory.
| And when I installed the program. It copied two MYPROGRAM.exe. The first
| one in the directory where I installed the program and the second one in
| Document Settings--> Administrator -->Start Menu-->Programs.
|
| Should I create the shortcut for PRIMARY OUTPUT FROM MYPROGRAM (Active)?
| ..... What is this "primary output from MyProgram (active) ??
|
| Thanks in advance!
|
| | > If you want to create a shortcut to those folders, just right-click and
| > select "Create Shortcut". You can do that for nearly any file/folder in
| the
| > File System Editor. Then, just drag them to where you want them to be
| > installed to. The User's Programs Menu is basically the Start menu.
| > ---
| > David Guyer - VBQA Deployment Testing
| rights.
| > --------------------
| > >From: "I_AM_DON_AND_YOU?" <[email protected]>
| > >Subject: Create Shortcut (Setup question..)
| > >Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:39:02 -0700
| > >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb
| > >
| > >There is one more problem I am facing but didn't get the solution. In my
| > >Setup Program I am not been able to create 2 things (when the program is
| > >intalled on the client machine ) : (1) create shortcut to my
| > program/utility
| > >(2) Entry in Windows' Start --> Program Menu.
| > >
| > >Actually in my VB.Net solution I have two projects (1) MYPROGRAM (2)
| > >MYPROGRAM_INSTALLER. MYPROGRAM is a "Windows Application".
| > >MYPROGRAM_INSTALLER is a "SetUp Wizard" project.
| > >
| > >Although on "File System Editor" in the Solution Explorer I can see (1)
| > >Application Folder (2) User's Desktop and (3) User's Program Menu. But
| some
| > >how I am not been able to create short cuts for Start Menu and Users'
| > >Desktop.
| > >
| > >May be you can tell me in simple steps....
| > >
| > >Thanks in advance!

I_AM_DON_AND_YOU?

Thanks. It works.