Create a list of files with their thumbnail images?

Joe Dunfee

I want to create a spreadsheet that shows a list of files, and their
thumbnail images in a column of cells. I am using Excel 2007

These files are drawings of parts we want vendors to give us quotes on, and
so I wnat the spreadsheet to keep track of the quotes, and the vendor we
chose. While the file name (which has the part number in it) is workable, it
would also be great to see the thumbnail image, to make it quicker to
remember what a particular part looks like.

I know I can go to a DOS window and at the command prompt do a DIR command
and pipeline "|" the directory into a text file. But, isn't there an easier
way to do this and get the results into Excel?

I have no clue about how to get the files thumbnail image into Excel.

Any ideas?

Jim Cone

What type of files are the drawing files?... .jpg; .dwg; .doc; pdf; or...
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Joe Dunfee"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
I want to create a spreadsheet that shows a list of files, and their
thumbnail images in a column of cells. I am using Excel 2007

These files are drawings of parts we want vendors to give us quotes on, and
so I wnat the spreadsheet to keep track of the quotes, and the vendor we
chose. While the file name (which has the part number in it) is workable, it
would also be great to see the thumbnail image, to make it quicker to
remember what a particular part looks like.

I know I can go to a DOS window and at the command prompt do a DIR command
and pipeline "|" the directory into a text file. But, isn't there an easier
way to do this and get the results into Excel?

I have no clue about how to get the files thumbnail image into Excel.

Any ideas?

Joe Dunfee

In this case they are Solidworks drawings and part models. This is a 3D
design program. The thumbnails I am referring to are what Windows displays
when you open a directory window.

Joe Dunfee

:>

Jim Cone

Can't help. My Excel add-in "List Files" can list specified types of files
and or folders. It also has an option to display pictures adjacent
to the listed files, but only for an "Image" file type.
(trial version available for the asking).

There are programs available on the web to list/convert thumbnails,
but I haven't tried any. One example is the free "Easy Thumbnails" from...
http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA