crash dump to flash?

Luke Alcatel

I have flash on my devices that appears as fixed media therefore I think it
can be partitioned into two logical drives. I need to get crash dump files.
My idea is to create a C: drive that would be protected with EWF and an
unprotected D: drive. I would like to configure the system to dump crash
files to the D: drive (how?). I've been told that there is special kernel
code for writing crash files and the destination must appear to be an HD -
the destination cannot be USB mounted storage. From what I've described is
my scenario likely to work in XPe? Will I be able to use WinDbg
productively on a crash dump file I collect this way?

Luke

Srikanth Kamath [MSFT]

Dump file locations are restricted to local , writeable drives. This
restriction is enforced when you specify the dump file location in the
control panel applet. You could easily check if your device is treated as
valid destination for crash dump files.

Thanks
Srikanth

Luke Alcatel

Thanks, but I have not Control Panel -- the configuration is Cmd Shell
based. How do I easily check?

Luke

JS

reg query HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl

Luke Alcatel said:
Thanks, but I have not Control Panel -- the configuration is Cmd Shell
based. How do I easily check?

Luke