CPU and memory speed compatability

Reaction score
I've always been told that you should choose memory that runs at the same speed as your CPU. For example, an AMD 2800+ (333mhz) should be matched with PC2700 memory modules (also running at 333mhz).

Is this good practice, or can you get away with sticking PC3200 (400mhz) modules in with a CPU running at 333mhz? If you can get away with the PC3200, is there any system enhancement/degredation?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!:)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It ALL really depends on the motherboard ... ;)

:D

Reaction score
My CUP runs faster then that Genzen, my CUPs FBS is 1gig. Does that mean that i am going to have to buy DDR2 and spend something like $200?

Reaction score
In answer to Muckshifter, the motherboard I'm using (Gigabyte 7VT600PRZ) can support up to 400mhz bus speed.

In answer to Sckitty: I don't think the CPU and memory speeds have to match, so you don't have to buy DDR2 memory, but I would imagine your not getting the full potential out of your CPU if it can run at 1ghz and your memory can't transfer data that fast. My situation is slightly different in that my memory can transfer data faster than the CPU can handle it, which may be causing data bottlenecks, and subsequently, poor performance.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
as Mucks says it depends on your motherboard if it will work, most motherboards will work with PC3200 but run it at PC2700 speeds, personally i'd stick some PC2700 in

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As others have said, best match like for like is the ideal situation.

Only point in getting faster memory than the CPU will support is to help overclocking (and that very much depends on the motherboard) or if you're thinking of upgrading in the future to something that will realise the memory's full potential.

Reaction score
ALL NForce2 motherboards need to have synchronous CPU and RAM. I'm not sure about others tho.

Ask a Question