Counta function

Reaction score
Hi,

I have to count the cells which have text values in a particular column. All the cells have formulas at place. For example:

Answer I should getA1akjsdbam3A2sjakdba A3asasx A4 A5 B1asdn,5B2loyhm B3ytefdhs B4szxz B5qsa B6 B7 B8 B9 B10 B11 C1asjk2C2wrds C3 C4 C5 D1skxhj6D2slaksmx D3saknmx D4asklasmx D5asxl;,sa D6\x\sww

I want to count max no. of filled vaues in column A for A,B,C,D variables (& not the blank ones) from Column C. Answers I need are in Column D. But the values in Column C have some sort of formulas , therefore counta isnt working fine.

Help plz?

Reaction score
I think the problem you're having is that a COUNTA formula will still count a cell that has a formula, even if the result of the formula is a blank cell. The data you posted is very hard to determine what is going on, but if that doesn't help, if you can post something a little clearer, I can see what I can come up with.

Reaction score
oops! My bad. copied it from excel in right format though. I thought it wil come up in right format. lemme try again. Anyways here is d data:
A 1 akjsdbam 3
A 2 sjakdba
A 3 asasx
A 4
A 5
B 1 asdn 5
B 2 loyhm
B 3 ytefdhs
B 4 szxz
B 5 qsa
B 6
B 7
B 8
B 9
B 10
C 1 asjk 2
C 2 wrds
C 3
C 4
C 5
D 1 skxhj 6
D 2 slaksmx
D 3 saknmx
D 4 asklasmx
D 5 asxl
D 6 x\sww

Column D shows d no. of counts I should get as an answer. Thanks.

Reaction score
I think you might be headed to another array formula. Are you just looking to get a count of nonblank cells in the third column of this data?

Reaction score
Try the following array formula:
=SUM((C2:C100)<>"")*1)
And again, hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter to enter it as an array formula.

Reaction score
Im sorry. i need sum of column for every variable in Column A. Also, I used this formula above but isnt working, Im getting value error :(

Reaction score
The formula above, if entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter, should give you a count of non-blank cells in column C. You may have to change the range for your data, but that should do it for the count. But what do you mean by "sum of column for every variable in Column A"?

Ask a Question