Could someone please look at this?

G

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...k_web&mid=becc8429-b007-4aef-abfc-1fce98361be

I am at my wits end with this problem. None of the posts I have read in the last 2 days have helped me fix my problem, although I have gotten alot of info to check on the machine in question. I think I have masnipulated every parameter I can control, and one of my XP Pro computers just can not access the home network, and the other 2 computers can see it on the network, but can't access it. Pings out from it "transmit fail", and pings to it from the other two time out- but I can't find out what that should tell me. Surprisingly, none of my problems involved getting my Linksys wireless gear or Router to work. I have a WRT54G. One computer is plugged into it, a laptop is connected via Wireless-G card, and the other desktop has a Wireless-B PCI card in it. They can all see the internet. The laptop and the desktop plugged in via CAT 5 can see the network and access each other's shares. I have configured the other desktop exactly like the first, except to use the wireless-b card for network access instead of ethernet card, which I disabled. The router has been configured to allow the specfic MAC addresses on the wireless network, WEP is enabled keys re-entered and verified as accurate. Is there some detail I am missing that distinguishes between the internet and network as far as intercommunication betweent the machines?

G

Hello, I notice that you have not mentioned any thing about the workgroup name for your set up.
All the computers that you want to have access to must be part of the same workgroup. Check this on XP right click " My Computer" > Properties > Computer name.
If this is not the probelm. Make sure that the ICF is turned off. This can be found in the porperties of the network adapters tcp/ip properties window. The ICF will block access to the computer from other computers on your network. If you are using a router, there is no need for the ICF. It only gets in the way for your network setup.
I would also suggest turning off the WEP and then get the access problem settled, after that, turn it back on and make sure of all the settings.
Elimate those things that could cause problems and are unnecessary at the moment.
The router could also have a firewall installed that could block access. Turn it off and any other firewall software that may be on the computers
Let me know how it goes, repost a message in the newsgroup and I will see it.

R

Ron Lowe

[ I've snipped a lot, because I'm only
responding to one patricular point ]
[..]
Pings out from it "transmit fail", [..]
and pings to it from the other two time out

This sounds strongly like a firewall problem on this machine.
Disable XPs firewall.
Disable and un-install any 3-rd party firewall during troubleshooting.

If you have previously un-installed a firewall like Zone Alarm,
you may have done it incorrectly and left parts of it running.
For example, with ZoneAlarm, incorrect un-install can leave the
TrueVector service running.
The fix is to re-install it and then un-install it correctly.
Refer to the mfrs website for instructions.
For example, with ZA you should:
use the tray icon to disable autorun at boot time;
reboot; ensure its not running; then un-install.

G

Hey Jason I have the same problem in my network I check and I think is that the to computer that use xp pro have a problem seen the one that is home edition, what I did is just configure the router to firewall using the NIC mac address of thte cards and only that is necesary to protect the network, and upgrade the home to pro, if you have a not legal windows version that might be the problem too

----- Jason wrote: ----

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...k_web&mid=becc8429-b007-4aef-abfc-1fce98361be

I am at my wits end with this problem. None of the posts I have read in the last 2 days have helped me fix my problem, although I have gotten alot of info to check on the machine in question. I think I have masnipulated every parameter I can control, and one of my XP Pro computers just can not access the home network, and the other 2 computers can see it on the network, but can't access it. Pings out from it "transmit fail", and pings to it from the other two time out- but I can't find out what that should tell me. Surprisingly, none of my problems involved getting my Linksys wireless gear or Router to work. I have a WRT54G. One computer is plugged into it, a laptop is connected via Wireless-G card, and the other desktop has a Wireless-B PCI card in it. They can all see the internet. The laptop and the desktop plugged in via CAT 5 can see the network and access each other's shares. I have configured the other desktop exactly like the first, except to use the wireless-b card for network access instead of ethernet card, which I disabled. The router has been configured to allow the specfic MAC addresses on the wireless network, WEP is enabled keys re-entered and verified as accurate. Is there some detail I am missing that distinguishes between the internet and network as far as intercommunication betweent the machines?

G

RON thank you RON- I am going to try that right after I post this, I bet that is what it is. I used to have ZA installed on that machine

Bob- Thanks, but yes, I had in fact ensured that each computer was assigned to the same workgroup and the ICF was off. Also, the machine that could not see the network or be accessed did the same thing after i removed the Wireless-B card and plugged it right into the router. I appreciate you taking the time out to offer help though

Jonathan- Thanks for taking time to offer help. The really confusing thing about my issue is that the machine giving me problems does so whether I am using the wirelessB card or the regular NIC. It also has XP Pro on it. Oddly enough, a laptop with XP Home and the other Desktop running XP PRO had no issues except their inability to access the third machine. Both Desktops are Dells with legal installs of Pro, and the laptop is a Gateway with a legal version of Home. My router is also set up to only permit certain MAC addresses. I thank you for your help, but I am betting dollars it will turn out to be this TrueVector issue Ron Lowe is talking about- because the computer is acting like it's behind a firewall
I knew someone out there had this one missing piece...I had people here telling me to just give in and roll back drivers, and all kinds of stuff, but with XP I know one thing- SOMEBODY has seen it, even if you haven't. The first time I installed a second hard drive on an XP machine, I got it from a friend. It took me 5 hours to find out and figure out I had to "take ownership" of the drive in computer management. But that's a different story.... please check back, as I will let you all know if my problem is fixed by re- and then un-installing Zone Alarm

G

RON LOWE is a genius
When I tried to install Zone Alarm so I could properly uninstall it as he suggested, I got a message from the installer telling me to shut down the True Vector service

Thank you so much

----- Ron Lowe wrote: ----

[ I've snipped a lot, because I'm only
responding to one patricular point
[..
Pings out from it "transmit fail", [..
and pings to it from the other two time ou

This sounds strongly like a firewall problem on this machine
Disable XPs firewall
Disable and un-install any 3-rd party firewall during troubleshooting

If you have previously un-installed a firewall like Zone Alarm,
you may have done it incorrectly and left parts of it running
For example, with ZoneAlarm, incorrect un-install can leave the
TrueVector service running
The fix is to re-install it and then un-install it correctly
Refer to the mfrs website for instructions
For example, with ZA you should
use the tray icon to disable autorun at boot time
reboot; ensure its not running; then un-install

G

Well, now here's the problem, and again I am stumped. All 3 computers can now see each other. All 3 can now access the shared folders that the Netrwork wizard shares by default. But the machine that wasn't working earlier isn't giving me the option to share anything to the network, and the XP help dealio is saying that it's because the computer isn't part of a network. What exactly is THAT supposed to mean??? It is on a network, it has a workgroup name, it sees other machines and can access them and be accessed. What do I need to tell XP to get it to put up the "share this on the network" option? It is an XP PRO machine. It ought to be allowing this.

Ask a Question