Could not perform the operation because the default mail client is not installed

Rob

I have XP and Office 2003, including Outlook 2003. I have
IE6. When I click on an e-mail address on a web page,
instead of going to Outlook, I get the message "Could not
perform the operation because the default mail client is
not installed properly." I also get 60 IE windows
opening, all with the e-mail address that I clicked on in
the internet address field and the window indicating that
the page cannot be found. Found something about this for
Outlook Express but the problem is not the same as the
Outlook Express problem applies to long e-mail addresses
and mine applies to all e-mail addresses.

Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for posting.

I understand that the system displays error when you click on any email
address in a web page.

If any MailTo link has the same problem, your registry keys may be
corrupted. I suggest you perform the following two steps:

1. Close all running applications.
2. Click Start->Run, type "msimn /reg" (without quotations) in the Open box
and click OK.
3. Run Outlook Detect and Repair from Outlook Help menu->Detect and Repair.
4. Restart your computer.

I hope the above information helps. If there is anything unclear, please
feel free to let me know. Thank you and have a nice day!

Rashmi

| From: "Rob" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Rob" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Could not perform the operation because the default mail client
is not installed
| Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:27:18 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
|
| I have XP and Office 2003, including Outlook 2003. I have
| IE6. When I click on an e-mail address on a web page,
| instead of going to Outlook, I get the message "Could not
| perform the operation because the default mail client is
| not installed properly." I also get 60 IE windows
| opening, all with the e-mail address that I clicked on in
| the internet address field and the window indicating that
| the page cannot be found. Found something about this for
| Outlook Express but the problem is not the same as the
| Outlook Express problem applies to long e-mail addresses
| and mine applies to all e-mail addresses.

Rob

Thanks for taking a shot at it but it didn't
work. "msimn /reg" is not recognized as a valid entry in
the run box. When I run it from run box with "c:\program
files\outlook express\msimn /reg", I get a message that
it can't run "c:\program." I ran the repair program
anyway and that didn't seem to help.