Corrup or missing system file

Doug

I note this is a common problem but I am having no luck
solving it. This is what I have tried.

I went to the Microsoft General Advice ant tried some
things with out success. Initially I went to the recovery
console and tried:
cd system32\config <enter>
ren system system.old <enter>
ren system.alt systemalt.old <enter> This command wouldn't
execute so I did the following:
ren system.old system <enter>
cd system32\config <enter>
dir system <enter>
I then got the messages:
The volume in drive c is DOUG'SDRIVE
The volume serial number is 3857-1504
Directory of C:\WINXP\system32\config\system

06/29/04 10:53p -a------ 4194304 system
1 file(s) 4194304 bytes
22152970240 bytes free

At the prompt C:\WINXP\system32\config> (I entered) ren
system system.bak <enter>
copy c:\windows\repair\system <enter>
Received message that The system cannot find the file
specified.
So I then typed: ren system.bak system

I then went back to C:\WINXP> and entered md tmp <enter>
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system
c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
I received the answer The system cannot find the file
specified

Do you have any suggestions?

Carrie Garth

| "Doug" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | <SNIP> I went to the Microsoft General Advice ant tried some
| things with out success. Initially I went to the recovery console
| and tried:
|
| cd system32\config <enter>
| ren system system.old <enter>
| ren system.alt systemalt.old <enter>
| This command wouldn't execute
| <SNIP>
| At the prompt C:\WINXP\system32\config> (I entered)
| ren system system.bak <enter>
| copy c:\windows\repair\system <enter>
| Received message that The system cannot find the file specified.
| <SNIP> Do you have any suggestions?

Microsoft Windows XP uses a different procedure than previous
NT based operating systems to replace registry hives. So start by
referring to to the appropriate Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

KB307545 - How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That
Prevents Windows XP from Starting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;307545

Also, it appears that your Windows XP is installed in C:\WINXP and
the procedures in Microsoft Knowledge Base Articles will assume
that C:\WINDOWS is the %WINDIR%. As such, make certain to
change C:\Windows to C:\WINXP for any steps you are following.

For example, you wrote the following:

<BEGIN QUOTE>

copy c:\windows\repair\system <enter>

Received message that The system cannot find the file
specified. <SNIP>

<END QUOTE>

Well, since your %WINDIR% is C:\WINXP you need to
type:

copy c:\winxp\repair\system <enter>