Copying and Pasting Links

G

I have a workbook that I have links from worksheet into another. I copy and
paste the links between different columns within the same row. When I set up
a link in Sheet 2 to cell A1 (linking the Sheet 1's A1) I want to copy and
paste the link into Sheet 2 cell B1 so that it is linking with my Sheet 1's
B1.

Excel does this for me sometimes but not others. Sometimes it will just
paste the samething that is A1. Why is that?

C

Conan Kelly

More information would be helpful. It is hard to understand what you are trying to do. Please post your formulas.

Just taking a guess:
You want Sheet2 cell A1 to equal Sheet1 cell A1. I'm guessing your formula looks something like this:

=Sheet1!$A$1

If you copy/fill that left to Sheet2 cell B1, B1 will have the same formula in it.

Change your formula to:

=Sheet1!A1

Now if you copy/fill that left to Sheet2 cell B1, the resulting formula in B2 should be:

=Sheet1!B1

Notice the dollar signs ($) in the first formula. That is what is preventing the formulas from copying the way you want them to.

Look up "References" in Excel's help and read everything on "Absolute" & "Relative" cell references.

A good place to start might be "Microsoft Excel Help>Creating and Correcting Formulas>Creating Formulas>Using References>About cell
and range references".

I hope this helps,

Conan Kelly

G

You answered my question. Thank you!

Conan Kelly said:
More information would be helpful. It is hard to understand what you are trying to do. Please post your formulas.

Just taking a guess:
You want Sheet2 cell A1 to equal Sheet1 cell A1. I'm guessing your formula looks something like this:

=Sheet1!$A$1

If you copy/fill that left to Sheet2 cell B1, B1 will have the same formula in it.

Change your formula to:

=Sheet1!A1

Now if you copy/fill that left to Sheet2 cell B1, the resulting formula in B2 should be:

=Sheet1!B1

Notice the dollar signs ($) in the first formula. That is what is preventing the formulas from copying the way you want them to.

Look up "References" in Excel's help and read everything on "Absolute" & "Relative" cell references.

A good place to start might be "Microsoft Excel Help>Creating and Correcting Formulas>Creating Formulas>Using References>About cell
and range references".

I hope this helps,

Conan Kelly

Ask a Question