coping WinPE to hard disk for tap.exe

derek laufenberg

Hi everyone,
My target/test box won't boot the XPE cdrom so I wanted to put WinPE on a HD
which I could boot on the target box. Here is what I did:

1) Copied the XPE files and directory to my harddrive.
2) Copied/renamed SETUPLDR.BIN to ntldr on the root directory.
3) Remove HD from dev machine and put it in target.
4) Power on target.

This seems to sort of work, but it stops with an error 18 -
File \$WIN_NT$.~BT\system32\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Derek

David Reed

This is not supported by the XPe team or MS. WinPE is a
different product SKU than XP EMbedded, and has different
licensing and setup requirements.

The XPe team put a copy of WinPE on the Eval CD ROM to
assist with getting "bare bones" computers up and running
with XP Embedded images.

I would run TA.exe from a MS DOS floppy to get
a "starter" hardware profile for your target image. This
is usually the best approach for systems that lack CD ROM
boot support.

David

derek laufenberg

Hi David, and everyone

Getting a "bare bones" system up and running is just what I'm trying to do.
Does changing the boot media really change the allowed use or lack of it?
To be honest, I didn't ready the agreement - does anyone? :)

I tried TA first but the resulting description wasn't good enough. TAP does
a much better job. I guess I'm getting frustrated with XPe tools. Just for
comparision, on this same test box it took 30 minutes to setup Linux, 20
minutes to get FreeBSD running and so far 2 days and no luck with XPe or
WinPE.

The funny thing is this box will boot the Linux and Freebsd's install CD's
no problem, but won't with the XPe boot CD. Any ideas on that? I'll take a
look at the CD boot signatures and see what the difference is.

Thanks for the the help.

Derek

derek laufenberg

Thanks for the reply Sean,

Its an old HP-Vectra I was using as a test system. I've since scrapped it
so I don't waste any more time with it. The date on the boot bios was 96...
I don't have XP Pro, I'm using Win 2000 for my development system.

Derek

Sean Liming \(eMVP\)

Derek,

The first target machine I tried XPe with was a generic Pentium 200 MMX.
After the first attempt, I scrapped it and have been using PIII or greater
ever since. Older machines are going to have quirky issues because of the
changes in technology. If a target machine can run Windows XP or 2000 there
is a good chance that it will run XPe / WinPE.

Regards,

Sean

Joined
Jun 29, 2005
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
TAP.exe

Anyone please tell me where i can download and get TAP.exe. I dont have installation for the embedded utilities.

Thanks
TOm

Sean Liming \(eMVP\) said:
Derek,

The first target machine I tried XPe with was a generic Pentium 200 MMX.
After the first attempt, I scrapped it and have been using PIII or greater
ever since. Older machines are going to have quirky issues because of the
changes in technology. If a target machine can run Windows XP or 2000 there
is a good chance that it will run XPe / WinPE.

Regards,

Sean

news:[email protected]...

+
> > version is used. I haven't found a PC that will not boot WinPE.
> >
> > Have you tried installing XP Professional from CD-ROM? If you install XP
> > Pro, you can than run TAP.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Sean Liming
> > www.a7eng.com
> > Author: Windows NT Embedded Step-By-Step and XP Embedded Advanced.
> >

> > "derek laufenberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hi David, and everyone
> > >
> > > Getting a "bare bones" system up and running is just what I'm trying

> > do.
> > > Does changing the boot media really change the allowed use or lack of

> it?
> > > To be honest, I didn't ready the agreement - does anyone? :)
> > >
> > > I tried TA first but the resulting description wasn't good enough.

TAP
> > does
> > > a much better job. I guess I'm getting frustrated with XPe tools.

Just
> > for
> > > comparision, on this same test box it took 30 minutes to setup Linux,

20
> > > minutes to get FreeBSD running and so far 2 days and no luck with XPe

or
> > > WinPE.
> > >
> > > The funny thing is this box will boot the Linux and Freebsd's install

> CD's
> > > no problem, but won't with the XPe boot CD. Any ideas on that? I'll

> take
> > > look at the CD boot signatures and see what the difference is.
> > >
> > > Thanks for the the help.
> > >
> > > Derek
> > >
> > > "David Reed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi,

If you have embedded installed then it is most likely in:
C:\Program Files\Windows Embedded\utilities\tap.exe

Regards,
Slobodan