Windows XP Coolbits

CSB

Reaction score
Has anyone used this below to overclock their Graphics card via a registry tweak?, and would you say its safe to do so stability wise???, plus is it an official tweak @ coolbits ???

"To activate overclocking in Nvidia cards:
Open REGEDIT

Navigate to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak'

Create a new DWORD value called 'Coolbits' and give it a value of '3'

Reboot."

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yep, i use coolbits. Its good. :thumb:

An easier way to do it is....

The file i attached below is the file i use to activate it, all it is is some menu items Nvidia has in the drivers that don't display by default. Unzip the file below and double click the registry entry and it will add them. Then open your control panel and there you go. :)

Like this. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• coolbits_forceware.zip
    698 bytes · Views: 211
  • Display.jpg
    Display.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 855

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Been using it for years, never had a problem and its better than a piece of 3rd party software which would do the same, least this doesnt take those valuable resources ;-)

CSB

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys V_R, Reefsmoka

I installed the feature on this comp and it works ok with the rubbish Nvidia GeforceFX 5200 GPU (Pci Graphics card as mobo don't have AGP)

So I went ahead and enabled it on my comp upstairs with the ok Nvidia GeforceFX 5700 GPU, but the games I play didn't like it one bit (GTA San Andreas), even if I just overclocked the GPU a tiny bit, the frame rate and graphics slow down and become juddery etc, the GPU temp is fine and well below the threshold

On this comp I get the "Detect Optimal Frequencies" on the clock freqencies like in your attached pic V_R, but on comp upstairs with the 5700 GPU I dont get it and its missing but all the other options on that attached pic are available

I ended up delete Coolbits from the registry and gone back to how I had it b4 which works fine again

Why does it have to affect me but no one else by the sounds of things :mad:

Rob

Last edited:

CSB

Reaction score
I meant to mention that I have been using the latest Nvidia drivers too, I downloaded that "Riva Tuner" V_R but it looks messy and I dont like it to be honest, nothing improved either anyway

The system upstairs with the GeforceFX 5700 card only has 512Mb system memory at the moment, I thought maybe the GPU is trying to push through too much info somewhere in the system, I don't now :( , the GFX card has 256Mb on board memory so I'd imagine thats more than enough for GTA San Andreas

Thanks for trying to help, I might have no choice but to get that BFG Nvidia GeforceFX 7800 AGP card, I've heard nothing but good reviews about it so it's pretty tasty to me at the moment, I wish I could go the PCI-E route but when it would involve changing Mobo and CPU, System Memory to DDR2 blah blah blah, it's not a financial option

Rob

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
From what i have heard, with the latest Nvidia drivers (with the new look) Coolbits is disabled, but im not sure if it is true.

Reaction score
hyppolit said:
i have a applicaiton hang problem 101 id 1002 runaway exe0000 hungapp0000 memery0x00000000
please help me.
PLEASE post a new thread as you will get help a lot quicker that way.
Oh and Welcome to the Forum.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Alf said:
From what i have heard, with the latest Nvidia drivers (with the new look) Coolbits is disabled, but im not sure if it is true.
Not true. I am running the latest non beta drivers (93.71) and coolbits runs just fine. ;)

I just choose to use the old style display not the 'control panel'

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
CSB said:
Thanks for trying to help, I might have no choice but to get that BFG Nvidia GeforceFX 7800 AGP card, I've heard nothing but good reviews about it so it's pretty tasty to me at the moment, I wish I could go the PCI-E route but when it would involve changing Mobo and CPU, System Memory to DDR2 blah blah blah, it's not a financial option

Rob
Just had a thought Rob, I got an AGP Leadtek 6800GT that i have been meaning to put on Ebay for ages. If your interested reply here or PM me, if your not dont worry.

Its in the original box and with all the cds and stuff. Heres a link to the card for you to have a look at. Clicky

:)

Ask a Question