Converting FAT32 to NTFS

Discussion in 'Windows XP Performance' started by Dsquared, Sep 7, 2009.

  1. Dsquared

    Dsquared Guest

    Dom't know if you can help or not.

    My Brother-in-law has a Dell Dimension 2600 running XP HE. IHe had problems
    with slow performance. P4 with 512MB Ram; I upgraded to 2GB. Tried to defrag;
    ran fo 15 hours, and kept resetting. While starting defrag, I noticed Dell
    had installed as FAT32 system; C and D partition.

    I had BIL abort defrag and restart. Worked OK. Then I went to his place, and
    did convert. First D:, no problem. Then C:. Get message to convert at next
    start. Yes. Computer restarted, shows converting. Never entered splash screen
    to statrt XP. Same screen has been up for 36 hours....

    S, do I shut it off, and restart? Can I pull the hard drive, put it in USB
    external drive, convert and reinstall?

    Looking for some guidance...

    TIA

    Don

    Dsquared, Sep 7, 2009

  2. Dsquared

    Rich Barry Guest

    I think that C: being the system partition would be more
    problematic. Try what you said, I think it would present less of a problem.

    Rich Barry, Sep 7, 2009

  3. Dsquared

    Dsquared Guest

    OK, so I turned off the computer, and then turned back on. I got the XP
    splash screen, then it went into the same message about converting. It wanted
    to run checkdisk, and I remember I had allowed it yesterday. Was no bad
    sectors or corrupt files, so today I cancelled it. Went to the same screen
    for converting, and I settled back to see what would happen. In less than 5
    minutes, it fired up, and I was off and running.

    Rich:

    Thanks for the advice. Sort of what I expected, but nice to have a
    confirmation of sorts.

    Dsquared, Sep 8, 2009