Converting documents with endnotes to web page

I have Word 2002. When I convert (save as) my word documents (.doc files) to
web pages (.htm files), the hyperlinks to the endnotes don't look very good.
They work ok -- they just don't look good for the following reasons:
1. The hyperlink is surrounded by brackets. Example [1] or [2].
2. The hyperlink is underlined.
3. The font size of the hyperlink is too big, although it is superscripted.
This causes too much "white space" to occur between the line containing the
endnote hyperlink and the line above.

I would like the conversion from a doc to htm file to treat the endnote
hyperlinks as small, non-underlined superscripted numbers instead of this.
Is there anyway I can automate this?

The only way I know to fix this is to convert the file as normal to an htm
file then edit the htm file. In editing the htm file, I do this:

1. replace occurences of

with

1 (or whatever the endnote number is)

2. at beginning of the htm file, I replace
span.MsoEndnoteReference
{vertical-align:super;}

with

span.MsoEndnoteReference
{vertical-align:super;
font-size:6.0pt;
text-decoration:none;}

I have set up my Word 2002 to generate web pages for Internet Explorer 6.0
and above (all options selected) via the Tools/Options/General/Web Options
menu.

Any suggestions on how to automate this conversion so endnote hyperlinks
appear nicely?

lostinspace

[...]

It's NOT what your looking to hear!
Copy and paste the entire text into NotePad (or any other text editor that
removes all formating) and then use a proper tool and/or software that was
designed for creating web pages.
Especially one that does not used bloated or deprectated html. (that
applies to Front Page as well).

Word was never intended to be used as a tool to create web pages.
Rather, a transport tool to return html pages back into Word docs.