converting CSV to XLS for online download

kungstopher

Hello, I have found a few conversion applications that I can download t
convert a CSV file to an XLS file.

Is there a specification on how to do this conversion? What did th
developers of these conversion apps use as a reference for developin
their tool?

I want to understand the requirements of building an XLS file from
CSV file and write a simple script/app to take my query results (in cs
format) and put it into an Excel file that can be viewed using an
version of Excel.

Thanks,
Chri

Nigel

Excel will read an CSV file directly you do not need a separate conversion
package. Be aware of column and row limits and certain field type
conversions - dates, currencies etc.

--
Cheers
Nigel

"kungstopher" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Jan

Unfortunately, XLS file format is VERY complicated. See
http://sc.openoffice.org/excelfileformat.pdf and you will see what I mean.

However, you have free alternatives. For example, ExcelLite Free is a free
..NET component that can read / write both XLS and CSV files. You can use it
in a commercial applications; it is only limited to max 150 rows per sheet.
You can download it here:

http://www.gemboxsoftware.com/ExcelLiteFree.htm

Jan
GemBox Software