Convert Vista Spanish to English?

RScotti

Is there a way I can convert Vista Spanish edition to English?
If so could you please tell me what I have to do?

Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

No. If you need Windows Vista in English, you'll need to
purchase an English version of Windows Vista.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

Is there a way I can convert Vista Spanish edition to English?
If so could you please tell me what I have to do?

Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

RScotti

Thanks for your help.
No. If you need Windows Vista in English, you'll need to
purchase an English version of Windows Vista.

Have a good day,
RScotti

remove "nospam" in order to email me.

Edric

Hi Carey

If the version was Ultimate Spanish, couldn't it be converted to English
using the appropriate MUI? I thought that easy UI conversion was one of the
great advantages of Vista Ultimate Edition. I understood the OS was natively
"neutral", and the localized UI was applied during install... Ultimate
Spanish would essentially equal to English, differently to XP, in which you
apply MUI but the system keeps being recognized as the original thing,
regardless the user interface language...

Rgds

Edric

Jon

Edric said:
Hi Carey

If the version was Ultimate Spanish, couldn't it be converted to English
using the appropriate MUI? I thought that easy UI conversion was one of
the great advantages of Vista Ultimate Edition. I understood the OS was
natively "neutral", and the localized UI was applied during install...
Ultimate Spanish would essentially equal to English, differently to XP, in
which you apply MUI but the system keeps being recognized as the original
thing, regardless the user interface language...

Rgds

Edric

Seems to be an option along those lines via

Start > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Keyboards &
Languages > [ Display Language ] .....

Chad Harris

That option is very narrowly focused, and has nothing to do with changing
the language of the entire OS. Simply put, the day you can convert a Vista
OS from one language to another, will be the day you can also count on
changing Vista or Blackcomb to Umbuntu or Solaris or Apple Leopard.

You must buy the edition in and for the language you want. One langue only
for the edition.

CH

Jon said:
Edric said:
Hi Carey

If the version was Ultimate Spanish, couldn't it be converted to English
using the appropriate MUI? I thought that easy UI conversion was one of
the great advantages of Vista Ultimate Edition. I understood the OS was
natively "neutral", and the localized UI was applied during install...
Ultimate Spanish would essentially equal to English, differently to XP,
in which you apply MUI but the system keeps being recognized as the
original thing, regardless the user interface language...

Rgds

Edric

Seems to be an option along those lines via

Start > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Keyboards &
Languages > [ Display Language ] .....

Jon

I wouldn't call changing the whole UI 'narrowly focussed', but you are
entitled to your opinion.

--
Jon

Jon said:
Edric said:
Hi Carey

If the version was Ultimate Spanish, couldn't it be converted to English
using the appropriate MUI? I thought that easy UI conversion was one of
the great advantages of Vista Ultimate Edition. I understood the OS was
natively "neutral", and the localized UI was applied during install...
Ultimate Spanish would essentially equal to English, differently to XP,
in which you apply MUI but the system keeps being recognized as the
original thing, regardless the user interface language...

Rgds

Edric

Seems to be an option along those lines via

Start > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Keyboards &
Languages > [ Display Language ] .....

Chad Harris

Jon that far from "changes the whole UI" and it would be part magic wand if
it did. That solution has been part of every thread on language change
throughout the 6 years of XP and its beta.

CH

Chad Harris said:
Jon that far from "changes the whole UI" and it would be part magic wand
if it did. That solution has been part of every thread on language change
throughout the 6 years of XP and its beta.

CH

True, but there would appear to be a slightly more sophisticated approach
with Vista......

Guide to Windows Vista Multilingual User Interface
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...9fd8-4963-b06a-5ecc457006c71033.mspx?mfr=true

Install a display language
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/4a90fe71-cca6-4965-ab39-97f92ca1a03f1033.mspx

But according to the last link you may possibly need the Ultimate or
Enterprise versions to be able to make the 100% change (?)

--
Jon

Chad Harris said:
[...]

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Thanks for the links -- it is an XP question we frequently get asked
over in Compuserve from people who buy especially a laptop in one
country because of price but live in another and with the price
differentials for VISTA I see it coming up more frequently, as it is
already here.

<< In Windows Vista, the MUI architecture separates the language
resources for the user interface from the binary code of the operating
system. This separation makes it possible to change languages
completely without changing the core binaries of Windows Vista, or to
have multiple languages installed on the same computer. Languages are
applied as language packs containing the resources required to localize
part of, or the entire, user interface in Windows Vista. >>

seems pretty conclusive -- "the entire user interface"

and as you say on versions:

<< Note The Display language section will only be visible if you have
already installed a LIP or if your edition of Windows supports MUI. MUI
packs are only available in Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows Vista
Enterprise. >>

Chad Harris

This is interesting. I'll have to check it out, but when people ask
questions like the original postert they are almost always looking for a
holy grail which would convert English to another language or vice-versa and
that, would be impossible I think.

CH

"Chad Harris" <getsomevistainfoout.net> wrote in message
[...]

I don't think I have a link to it anywhere but I'm sure I saw, before
release, a statement on the MS website that all the languages,
including English text of what everyone saw, were in modules and would
be able to be swapped.

But as Jon quotes, only on certain versions.

Jon

Hugh Wyn Griffith said:
I don't think I have a link to it anywhere but I'm sure I saw, before
release, a statement on the MS website that all the languages,
including English text of what everyone saw, were in modules and would
be able to be swapped.

But as Jon quotes, only on certain versions.

It sounds like a great move. Hopefully MS will also release some
documentation on how the new languages / modules are stored (perhaps they
have, I've not spotted it) , so people can also take advantage of it within
their own applications.

To all posters on this topic,

One confusing part of this is the fact that the Vista display language help
pages state that the content of the page applies to "all editions of Windows
Vista". In the particular case of my daughter, who was researching this
option for a friend who was about to purchase a new computer and wanted to
run the OS in Spanish, she shared this help information with him. He
purchased a computer with Vista Home Basic only to find that no LIP is
currently available (listed as "coming soon" on one of the help page links).

Based on this experience and all that I have read, Microsoft's help site
gives misleading information, both in the supposed current availability of
LIPs--the help page should clearly state that they have not yet been released
instead of making customers search in vain for the download--and in the
versions of Vista that can run an LIP. That is, can all versions run LIPs
and only the higher versions run the MUI, or is a higher version required to
run even an LIP?

I work as a computer support technician and often get questions from
co-workers about buying new computers. I don't want to bad-mouth Microsoft,
but I do believe that something like this experience is not good PR for the
company. A person who has bought a computer in good faith based upon
information that Microsoft offers should not have to find out otherwise after
the purchase has been made.

That said, does anyone know when the LIPs will be released and which
editions they really will apply to?

sjc

Jon said:
Chad Harris said:
[...]

At the end of the day, can it be conclusively said that if my OS is in
Spanish, then no LIPis available to convert to English?

It seems rather odd that I would need to purchase a new English OS when I
already paide for the Spanish one.

Stuart Forshaw

If you have Vista Home, Home Premium or Business you can install the LIP or
MLU, please read your EULA.

If you have Ultimate or Enterprise some additional MUI are already available
with more to follow as I understand it, however whilst Vista is not language
dependant you will find the MUI will only provide certain translations.

I have a friend who has possibly done the same as you and purchased a new
laptop as he resides in Spain and of course it has Vista in Spanish, however
he speaks no Spanish. My advice was jump on plane and buy your laptop in the
UK and fly back, otherwise you are stuck, but he took the advice of someone
in Spain instead.

Regards
Stuart

Alias

Stuart said:
If you have Vista Home, Home Premium or Business you can install the LIP
or MLU, please read your EULA.

If you have Ultimate or Enterprise some additional MUI are already
available with more to follow as I understand it, however whilst Vista
is not language dependant you will find the MUI will only provide
certain translations.

I have a friend who has possibly done the same as you and purchased a
new laptop as he resides in Spain and of course it has Vista in Spanish,
however he speaks no Spanish. My advice was jump on plane and buy your
laptop in the UK and fly back, otherwise you are stuck, but he took the
advice of someone in Spain instead.

Regards
Stuart

I can get Vista in English in Spain. You just have to know what store to
get it from, although probably any of them that sell generic OEM
versions of Vista can order it for your friend. Tell your friend to
check at PC Box and APP, both national computer store chains in Spain
that will order things for you that they don't carry in stock.

Alias

Juan Giraldo

Just go to someone who has vista and copy this the files to your computer. first go to my computer then local disk c then windows folder now look for a folder called en-us this has all the english files. then copy the folder in the same place but in your computer.

please spread the word and help others.
can someone please post this folder as download.