Convert from Spanish to English Language

Joy

I purchased my PC in Spain and want to change all the
displays into English language from Spanish. I have tried
going through Control Panel/Regional Setting and selected
Ingles (Reino Unido) i.e English(UK) but everything is
still in Spanish. Is there anything we can do or download
from Microsoft web site to fix this?

TIA
Joy

Jim Macklin

You will have to buy an English version. I think an upgrade
version will work, but you must do a clean install (or dual
boot). You will need the XP Pro version if you have XP Pro
Spanish.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure that an MVP will correct my
errors.

"(e-mail address removed)" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
| I purchased my PC in Spain and want to change all the
| displays into English language from Spanish. I have tried
| going through Control Panel/Regional Setting and selected
| Ingles (Reino Unido) i.e English(UK) but everything is
| still in Spanish. Is there anything we can do or download
| from Microsoft web site to fix this?
|
| TIA
| Joy

Mark Weinreb

It has to be a full version, since an upgrade version will only upgrade to
the same language as the original.

~~Alan~~

To purchase a new english version is so politically incorrect. Rather
insist on everyone that you interact with regarding your PC from Spain,
purchase a Spanish version.

Oh yes, you will need U.N. approval as well.

Jim Macklin

Wouldn't the upgrade do a clean install?

| It has to be a full version, since an upgrade version will
only upgrade to
| the same language as the original.

in message
| | > You will have to buy an English version. I think an
upgrade
| > version will work, but you must do a clean install (or
dual
| > boot). You will need the XP Pro version if you have XP
Pro
| > Spanish.
| >
| > I could be wrong, but I'm sure that an MVP will correct
my
| > errors.

| > | displays into English language from Spanish. I have
tried
| > | going through Control Panel/Regional Setting and
selected
| > | Ingles (Reino Unido) i.e English(UK) but everything is
| > | still in Spanish. Is there anything we can do or
download
| > | from Microsoft web site to fix this?
| > |
| > | TIA
| > | Joy

Jim Macklin

LOL or is it sobbing softly.

| To purchase a new english version is so politically
incorrect. Rather
| insist on everyone that you interact with regarding your
PC from Spain,
| purchase a Spanish version.
|
| Oh yes, you will need U.N. approval as well.

in message
| | > You will have to buy an English version. I think an
upgrade
| > version will work, but you must do a clean install (or
dual
| > boot). You will need the XP Pro version if you have XP
Pro
| > Spanish.
| >
| > I could be wrong, but I'm sure that an MVP will correct
my
| > errors.

| > | displays into English language from Spanish. I have
tried
| > | going through Control Panel/Regional Setting and
selected
| > | Ingles (Reino Unido) i.e English(UK) but everything is
| > | still in Spanish. Is there anything we can do or
download
| > | from Microsoft web site to fix this?
| > |
| > | TIA
| > | Joy

Mark Weinreb

Yes, but when an upgrade version checks for a qualifying OS, it also checks
that OS's language. So if you try to use an English upgrade with a Spanish
base OS, you'll get an error message saying that no qualifying OS can be
found, and the upgrade will fail.

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

You cannot upgrade or convert from one language version of the an
OS to another, so you'll have to purchase and use the full version of
English WinXP to perform a clean installation.

Cannot Upgrade or Install a Different Language Version of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:

having both at once. -- RAH

Ken Blake, MVP

Yes, but when an upgrade version checks for a qualifying OS, it also checks
that OS's language. So if you try to use an English upgrade with a Spanish
base OS, you'll get an error message saying that no qualifying OS can be
found, and the upgrade will fail.

However, as long as you also own a CD of a legitimate English
previously qualifying operating system, such as Windows 98 or Me,
you can format the drive, then use an English Upgrade version to
install cleanly.

The requirement isn't really that you have to use an English Full
version, it's that you have to do a clean installation; an
English Upgrade version meets that requirement if you meet the
requirements to use that English Upgrade version.

Jim Macklin

Thank you for the explanation and correction.

This is one place were I would say that the critics have a
point, there should be a menu option to change language with
the upgrade.

| Yes, but when an upgrade version checks for a qualifying
OS, it also checks
| that OS's language. So if you try to use an English
upgrade with a Spanish
| base OS, you'll get an error message saying that no
qualifying OS can be
| found, and the upgrade will fail.

in message
| | > Wouldn't the upgrade do a clean install?

| > only upgrade to
| > | the same language as the original.
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
| > upgrade
(or
| > dual
XP
| > Pro

correct
| > my

<[email protected]>
have
| > tried
| > selected
everything is
| > download
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Jim Macklin

Microsoft should alter the upgrade install engine so that a
menu option to change the language would be available if the
upgrade was a different language.
It could take the form of a warning, "You are attempting to
change the language of the presently installed installation,
do you wish to change the language to "English" Y es N o"

message | |
| > Yes, but when an upgrade version checks for a qualifying
OS, it
| also checks
| > that OS's language. So if you try to use an English
upgrade
| with a Spanish
| > base OS, you'll get an error message saying that no
qualifying
| OS can be
| > found, and the upgrade will fail.
|

| However, as long as you also own a CD of a legitimate
English
| previously qualifying operating system, such as Windows 98
or Me,
| you can format the drive, then use an English Upgrade
version to
| install cleanly.
|
| The requirement isn't really that you have to use an
English Full
| version, it's that you have to do a clean installation; an
| English Upgrade version meets that requirement if you meet
the
| requirements to use that English Upgrade version.
|
| --
| Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
| Please reply to the newsgroup
|

| > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote in
| message