Contact Modification w/ LDIFDE

G

I imported 1000 contacts to AD using CSVDE. Later I discovered that they were not added to the GAL or the default contact list - presumably because I had not supplied entries for the "showInAddressBook" parameter. I setup a LDIFDE command to add the parameter to the existing contacts and can verify using an LDAP browse tool that the parameter is being set.

The problem is that the parameter goes away after a minute or so. My guess is that it's being replicated back from a different server, but I can't prove it.

How do I get imported contacts to be registered in the GAL? (AD 2000, Exchange 2000, native). Is there a parameter I'm missing or is this an authoritative restore issue or what?

Following is a is the LDIFDE command and a sample record.

ldifde -i -f import1.Tag -s myDC -v -j c:

dn: CN=John Smith,OU=myOU,DC=myDomain,DC=com
changetype: modify
#delete: showInAddressBook
add: showInAddressBook
showInAddressBook: CN=Default Global Address List,CN=All Global Address Lists,CN=Address Lists Container,CN=myDomain,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=myRootDom,DC=root
showInAddressBook: CN=All Contacts,CN=All Address Lists,CN=Address Lists Container,CN=myDomain,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=myRootDom,DC=root
-

C

Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]

David,

Just looking at your command line I might use import1.ldf in place of
import1.TAG.

Cary

David Brown said:
I imported 1000 contacts to AD using CSVDE. Later I discovered that they
were not added to the GAL or the default contact list - presumably because I
had not supplied entries for the "showInAddressBook" parameter. I setup a
LDIFDE command to add the parameter to the existing contacts and can verify
using an LDAP browse tool that the parameter is being set.
The problem is that the parameter goes away after a minute or so. My
guess is that it's being replicated back from a different server, but I
can't prove it.
How do I get imported contacts to be registered in the GAL? (AD 2000,
Exchange 2000, native). Is there a parameter I'm missing or is this an
authoritative restore issue or what?
Following is a is the LDIFDE command and a sample record.

ldifde -i -f import1.Tag -s myDC -v -j c:

dn: CN=John Smith,OU=myOU,DC=myDomain,DC=com
changetype: modify
#delete: showInAddressBook
add: showInAddressBook
showInAddressBook: CN=Default Global Address List,CN=All Global Address
Lists,CN=Address Lists Container,CN=myDomain,CN=Microsoft
Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=myRootDom,DC=root

Reaction score
Wow.

Are we the only 2 guys trying to programatically create and modify "contacts" in AD?

Yours is the only other blurb I've seen that relates to this, and you're experiencing the EXACT same thing as me. Get this, I'm programatically creating my contacts using .Net code/LDAP and they didn't show up in the global address book... so I added that attribute/Property similar to yours and was thrilled to see them instantaneously appear in my global address book... for about 10 seconds!

If I run my program to write out the properties of my contacts right after creation I see their "showInAddressBook" property set like w want to "CN=Default gloabl Address List..." But if I run the same property-list function a minute later that attribute of my Contact objects has vanished!

What gives?

How, THROUGH CODE, can I set my contacts up to appear in my global address list????

Did you find a programatic solution?

thanks!

dave

Ask a Question