Windows XP Constant Restarts during Boot - BSOD

Reaction score
I've been having major problems with my PC for a long time. When I go to boot the thing up, it constantly restarts itself after flashing me a BSOD message (which I cannot see because it flashes on the screen for half a second). Sometimes, it even restarts during the XP loading screen. It does this repeatedly until it decides to work, about like 10+ restarts later :mad:

My PC is still insured by the company I bought it from, so I even got the hard drive completely replaced (after it failed instore diagnostic tests) and after 5 days of having it, it's back to square one of restarting itself.

I went into the Event log of my PC and got back this error code:

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 80633924, parameter3 b1b0cbf0, parameter4 00000000.

EDIT: Whoops! Kinda need the specs!

Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
3.06GHz, 1.93 GB of RAM

If I need to provide more information to get some detailed advice, I will do so upon reply.

I hope somebody can help, because it's been driving me insane!

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hard to figure from info supplied but I'd guess you either have a mechanical fault such as a failing PSU or cable/poor internal connection or a corrupted Operating System.

If I had to gamble I'd say a mechanical fault, especially if Windows is running stable once the machine eventually starts.

If the machine is still under warranty and you can deliver it to the supplier easily, I'd get them to check it out.

Reaction score
Nah, the warranty expired on sunday. However, the PC seems to have been working fine the past couple of days ever since I uninstalled a program (Firefox believe it or not) that crashed on me a few days ago... which triggered the first restart and was restarting whilst it was installed on the hard drive. Is it possible for restarts to occur during boot up just because of that reason?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Yes Firefox can at times crash but that happens when it is recently updated with a new version and that too is quickly fixed by Mozilla when the they get feedbacks from users. However, I never had any issues with my PC restarting only because of Firefox so this is first time for me.

Anyway, if that is the reason than be it. See if your system is stable for next few days and how it performs.

Have you updated everything in your computer? Like Anti-Virus and/or any other software?

It is also a very good idea to scan your system for viruses as they can corrupt system files which in turn could trigger the reboots. Just having the anti-virus is not enough but weekly forced scanning of the entire drive is a good practice when your computer is free. I have my anti-virus installed and active all the time but last night when I ran the scan it found a trojan and quarantined it. Although I never had any issues with my system and did not notice anything unusual.

Also check Windows update if it is working and on auto, so that any critical updates are taken into consideration and your system is updated as and when needed.

I would suggest you check out the link provided for some of the best freeware software that you could use to enhance your computer experience and to manage it in the best possible way. Just follow the advise and download whatever you fancy. This is a very reliable site and one of the best on the web for trouble free downloading of software.

Top Freeware software

Reaction score
Thanks for the list of reliable Freeware, much obligued. =D

However, Avast Home edition was one of the first things I installed on my new hard drive (Recommended by a mate of mine as soon as I got the hard drive replaced) and I always perform regular thorough scans every couple days. No viruses are present on my machine, and Windows Updates have always been set on Auto so I have all critical updates so far.

It's really weird that it has been behaving since I uninstalled Firefox. The reason I linked it to Firefox in the first place was because the PC with the fresh new hard drive restarted itself as soon as Firefox crashed on me (with a BSOD) and restarted several times in one go whilst it was on my machine; but has been fine ever since it's been uninstalled. I figured during the crash it corrupted or something, but is that even possible?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
As I said earlier it is first time for me and never saw any posts liking to BSOD just because of Firefox. Let see if other members here have something to add to this issue.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have read instances of Firefox causing crashes, it's not infallible.

Must admit it's unusual though, the whole scenario smacks of virus/malware infection.

Antivir is seriously better than Avast, would recommend uninstalling Avast, installing Antivir

Using auto-update with Windows can also cause problems, much better to manually update and select custom install. Then choose what you want, rather than what MS insist you have.

If auto-update installed IE8 it's possible - but not likely - that it clashes with Firefox, although must admit I'm clutching at straws here.

Whatever, it's working, one of those mysteries I guess.

Reaction score
KrazyGal said:
Nah, the warranty expired on sunday. However, the PC seems to have been working fine the past couple of days ever since I uninstalled a program (Firefox believe it or not) that crashed on me a few days ago... which triggered the first restart and was restarting whilst it was installed on the hard drive. Is it possible for restarts to occur during boot up just because of that reason?

I'd have to say that your pc should still covered considering it was playing up before the warranty ran out and wasn't fixed properly....bring it back and complain and see what happens....nothing to lose.;)

Ask a Question