connection fails daily

fcsark9handler

I have Windows Vista
For the last 2 months every evening between 5PM and 10PM I cannot receive or
send email. The message I get is

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.hughes.net', Server:
'mail.hughes.net', Protocol: POP 3, Port: 110, Secure (SSL): No, Socket
Error: 10061, Error Number Ox800CCCOE

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'windows mail', Server:
'mail.hughes.net', Protocol: POP 3, Port 110, Secure (SSL): No, Socket Error:
10061, Error Number Ox800CCCOE

My email runs fine any other time except between those times above. Why?
Thanks

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Cut down the tree that's blocking direct-line-of-site to the satellite
during that time period.

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

How does your Internet connection work during that time period, any
trouble with browsing websites?

Which antivirus are you running? Some of them can cause problems
with Windows Mail.

fcsark9handler

My internet connection works fine and my husband can send and receive email
on his yahoo account; no trouble browsing websites during that time period.
When I click on start and windows mail the screen opens and the bottom
righthand corner says "connecting" but never progresses past that; doesn't
continue on to authorizing, checking mail, etc.

We have Norton 360 2.0

Thanks

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no
additional protection, it may be causing the problem, and even Symantec says
it's not necessary:

<QP>
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
</QP>
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002111812533106

Sam Hobbs

Norton is the likely cause. It might be something else, but the most likely
explanation is Norton. The second most likely cause is your ISP and/or
internet connection. The third possibility is that it is caused by some
other software in your system that no one here knows about so no one here
can tell you that it is a problem.

gutemabuta

fcsark9handler said:
I have Windows Vista
For the last 2 months every evening between 5PM and 10PM I cannot receive or
send email. The message I get is

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.hughes.net', Server:
'mail.hughes.net', Protocol: POP 3, Port: 110, Secure (SSL): No, Socket
Error: 10061, Error Number Ox800CCCOE

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'windows mail', Server:
'mail.hughes.net', Protocol: POP 3, Port 110, Secure (SSL): No, Socket Error:
10061, Error Number Ox800CCCOE

My email runs fine any other time except between those times above. Why?
Thanks

edwinholt

I am having the same exact issue. When I reboot my computer, my IMAP e-mail
will work fine, but after 20-30 minutes, I get the same error message and
issue. My website host and internet provider have run test and say there are
no issues on their ends.

If anyone has found a workable solution, please let me know. I use this
e-mail for my business and I can't keep rebooting my computer every 30
minutes all day long just to get Windows Mail to work!

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

You also have HughesNet as your provider? If not, the error message
would be different, and you need to post it here.

Satellite Internet such as HughesNet can be problematical.at times.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)