Connecting XP to NT /win2000 network

G

I have just bought a new laptop with XP professional. It is correctly configured for TCP/IP since I can address the web through the proxy server at work (mixed NT /Win2000 network), as well as connecting to Notes Servers elsewhere. However when running network neighborhood I "see" no other computers in my workgroup. When I try on my previous computer (Windows ME) I have no such issue. I don't need to be logged in to be able to see other workgroups and computers. When attempting to connect to shared resources I am asked to enter Username /password. I have tried adding IPX/SPX as well without success. I have installed NetBEUI. When trying to copy ME configuration to XP I do not have the same control of the network components. Any Ideas ??

G

try running the network setup wizard on xp - file sharing is disabled by default if you hvae not done this. At the end it'll give you an option to create a network setup disk which you can then run on your ME machine. This should synchronise all the settings.

C

Chuck

I have just bought a new laptop with XP professional. It is correctly configured for TCP/IP since I can address the web through the proxy server at work (mixed NT /Win2000 network), as well as connecting to Notes Servers elsewhere. However when running network neighborhood I "see" no other computers in my workgroup. When I try on my previous computer (Windows ME) I have no such issue. I don't need to be logged in to be able to see other workgroups and computers. When attempting to connect to shared resources I am asked to enter Username /password. I have tried adding IPX/SPX as well without success. I have installed NetBEUI. When trying to copy ME configuration to XP I do not have the same control of the network components. Any Ideas ??

Tim,

Do you have a domain or workgroup at work?

Neither IPX/SPX, nor NetBEUI, should be necessary to enable file sharing. The
standard file sharing protocol used by WinNT/2K/XP is NetBIOS Over TCP/IP (NBT)
(Local Area Connection - Properties - TCP/IP - Properties - Advanced - WINS). Of
course, you also need both Client for Microsoft Networks, and File and Printer
Sharing for Microsoft Networks (Local Area Connection - Properties).

Do any of the computers in your workgroup have a software firewall (ICF or third
party)? If so, you need to configure them for file sharing, by opening ports
TCP 139, 445 and UDP 137, 138, 445, and / or by identifying the other computers
as present in the Local (Trusted) zone. Firewall configurations are a very
common cause of (network) browser, and file sharing, problems.

Your ability to access other computers at work (WinNT/2K), and your personal
computer (WinME), may be in conflict. WinME computers use Simple File Sharing,
and WinNT/2K use Advanced File Sharing. Here's a link to download a good
document that should help explain:
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...db-aef8-4bef-925e-7ac9be791028&DisplayLang=en>

Can you actually access files on other workstations from your WinME computer?
In addition to seeing them?

Cheers,
Chuck
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Ask a Question