Conmen

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have been trying to sell my Nikon D40X camera outfit for some time now as I rarely use it and am rather fond of my Canon G9 which does just about everything I need from a camera.

I think the reason it won't sell is because it only takes af-s lenses which somewhat restricts lens choices to a format that is more expensive than a normal manual lens. Oh, that and there's a recession on.

However, I digress.

I put the camera outfit up for sale on Amazon and had one enquiry asking what condition it was in. This made me wonder as I had clearly stated it was in 'as new' condition when I listed it.

Lo and behold a few days later I have received an e-mail asking me to ship the goods. The seller's credit card address is in Nottingham, the ship-to address is in Lagos, Nigeria. And apparently they've paid £55.54 for shipping costs.

The English used was almost perfect but some pigeon English slipped in there.

I checked my Amazon account and there are no sales listed (the camera is the only thing I have listed there atm).

So I replied to this e-mail. My reply consisted of two words, the second one of which was 'Off'.

There really must be some poor saps who'd fall for this sort of thing, makes me angry.

Anyhoo, just a general beware of them there con men ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Any time I listed something expensive on ebay I would get something similar, either wanting a product to be shipped to Nigera or sometimes an Internet cafe in London. I bet plenty of people to fall for it, as some of them were quite clever (mind you, most of the e-mails weren't - see below)

HELLO SALES,

WE WRITE TO LET YOU KNOW OF OUR INTENTION TO PURCHASE 22 INCHS BLACK LCD MONITOR.

WE VISITED YOUR SITE BUT WE WERE UNABLE TO PLACE THE ORDER ON-LINE.PLEASE TREAT THIS ORDER WITH URGENCY,BECAUSE WE ARE CURRENTLY RUNIING OUT OF STOCK,ALSO CALCULATE FREIGHT CHARGES TO LAGOS AIR PORT.

AS SOON AS WE HEAR FROM YOU WE WILL LET YOU KNOW THE QUANTITY WE REQUIRE AND IMMEDIATELY FORWARD TO YOU THE CASHIER'S CHEQUE FOR PAYMENT.

HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU ASAP.

THANKS,

JOE WILLIAMS.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Lo and behold a few days later I have received an e-mail asking me to ship the goods. The seller's credit card address is in Nottingham, the ship-to address is in Lagos, Nigeria. And apparently they've paid £55.54 for shipping costs.

Sad to have to say this but whenever I see "Nigeria" or anything to do with that country I become extremely suspicious and get out my bargepole.

Very impressed with your concise reply, Flops. :D

Reaction score
Hey guys,

One of my friends and work collegues is Nigerian, been over her 20 odd years now, but still has a home and family over there, he made me laugh the other day when he said that whenever he sells on Ebay he puts a big notice saying I DO NOT SHIP TO NIGERIA because of all the dodgy people! :)

Reaction score
Not all of them are bad, just a handful..I have 2 Nigerian mates..They are top blokes....Sad fact, the majority of prisoners locked up in South African jails are Nigerian..Drug and firearms.....Shame that a few bad apples let down an otherwise alright group of people...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, we call Peckham 'Little Lagos' hereabouts, lottsa fine people there.

But, have to say, why is fraud so prevalent amongst Nigerians?

I mean, I never get asked to ship to the Ivory Coast or Somalia or even Tasmania for that matter.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
But, have to say, why is fraud so prevalent amongst Nigerians?

I once worked for an agency in Criclewood as a sparkies mate...Had to travel everyday with a bloke from Nigeria...Solomon his name was if memory serves me right...Anyway long story short...One day at work our boys in bluue arrived and arrested him....Fraud against the DWP....Said fella had something like 19 different NI numbers and was claiming benefits on each of them....Whaty happened to him..? 6 months at Her Maj's pleasure....

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Sadly 6 months in a british prison is no deterrent to Nigerians as the cell with free food and lodging is far better than the scumholes they live in back home in Nigeria..

Also to answer Flopp's question on why he doesn't get asked to send to anywhere but Nigeria is because most Nigerians are better educated than other African countries and they have access to the internet in Cafes and meeting places over there, its also considered not a crime to extort money fraudulently to set up a legitimate buiness venture that may set them up for the rest of there lives..

Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Sadly 6 months in a british prison is no deterrent to Nigerians as the cell with free food and lodging is far better than the scumholes they live in back home in Nigeria..

And they inevitibly end up seeking asylum or the like while they are inside...OK me stop now or this is going to go off topic and could be taken the wrong way...

Reaction score
Yep, i agree, think we better call it a day on this thread....bottom line is, dont send stuff to Nigeria thats been brought from Ebay and the likes, dont believe emails that supposedly come from your bank and ask you for all your private details, yet the name of the bank has mysteriousley got an extra A instead of an E or just spelt completly wrong, and dont believe any emails if you are contacted from some random General/Bank Worker/Ex president of a coutry to say they want help with $20,000,000 and you will get your share! :lol:

Ask a Question