Confused message on UK broadband

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8311081.stm

"Finland has made broadband a 'legal right', leading experts to question whether the UK government is similarly committed.

In a speech to MPs this week, Digital Britain minister Stephen Timms seemed to firm up the government's plans.

He told MPs that the government's promise of broadband to all homes by 2012 was "an obligation".

Previously the government has spoken only of a "commitment", which would not be legally binding.

The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills said the comments were "a slip of the tongue" and that the plans for broadband remained a "commitment", meaning they would not be legally binding when they enter the statute book."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8302977.stm

"The government has long aspired to reach out to citizens in a more engaging way and in the Twittertastic world of Web 2.0 it seems such a goal should be pretty easy to achieve.

But despite having a set of guidelines on how to use Twitter, Facebook and other social media, the government's intranet bans access to them.

Even in local authorities, only around half of the UK's councils allow employees access to such sites."

Two very good articles well worth a read for web surfers. The WEB 2.0 one has some very interesting stuff in it.

happywave.gif

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
With the state that the UK's finances are in I can't see the government, whether it be blue or red, being very keen to throw money at broadband.

It's one of those things that they have to comment on but anything they say needs to be taken with the proverbial pinch of salt.

I feel sorry for all you people out in the sticks who can't get it. Did I read somewhere about BB being beamed in from satellites in the future. It would solve the problem of your remoteness but who knows what the cost might be? :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question