UK urban areas with best and worst 4G coverage revealed

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Which? Magazine has recently conducted a UK-wide study to see which urban areas in the UK have the best and worst 4G coverage. Out of 20 urban areas, Middlesbrough came out top, and our nation's capital came a lowly 16th place. The study also looked at available 4G download speeds, in which Stoke-on-Trent was the fastest and Brighton/Hove was the slowest. Here's more:

Middlesbrough topped the table with 83% availability for mobile users seeking 4G coverage, ahead of Sheffield, Sunderland, Leicester and Leeds. Bournemouth came bottom with 67.5% availability, behind Southampton and Portsmouth, Cardiff and Nottingham. London was ranked just 16th of the 20 cities studied.

The study comes a few months after a damning government reportfound Britain’s 4G mobile coverage severely lagged behind peers such as Japan and the US. The report, which was by the infrastructure watchdog the National Infrastructure Commission (NIC), ranked the UK 54th in the world.

Read more here.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
54 ... wow, that's how many countries are in Africa.

There are 195 countries in the world, at the moment. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Dear The Guardian,
In a report publish in December, the telecoms regulator Ofcom said 4G coverage where the signal was available from all four of the big four mobile operators – EE, Vodafone, O2 and EE reached just 40% of the UK.
Please sack your proof writer. :lol:

Anyway. As someone who has been a customer of Vodafone, Three and EE (and have had 1st hand experience of O2) I can safely say that EE are head and shoulders above the other networks for 4G coverage and speeds.

They may not be the cheapest, but if you get one of their decent deals that they run from time to time (for example at the moment they are offering a sim only plan of 12GB for £20, max speed + roaming - that ain't bad at all) then they are the best bet imo. :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I've been with EE for years, I'd agree that they're pretty good. Had some dealings with Vodafone in recent years and they were abysmal.

That being said, the 4G signal isn't great where I live, but when I'm at home I'm always using WiFi anyway.

A friend recently went to Morocco and said that the 4G signal was excellent there - even had full signal in the middle of the desert!!

Ask a Question