Configure WinFax Pro

Can anyone tell me how to configure Winfax Pro 10.04 for fax sharing. I've
done all the things from the symantec site, but they say they will not
support their product on networks with proxy servers, firewalls, routers or
switches. Well, then they don't support their product at all. Here is my
set-up and issue:

11 computers (mix of xp home, xp pro, and 2000 pro), peer-to-peer ethernet
network, Netgear switch, D-link Router (as device on the network) access to
the wireless Internet, and one switch port being used by a netgear access
point. The Winfax Pro host computer is a xp home computer. The host
computer seems to be working fine, can send and receive faxes just fine.
When I try to set up the fax sharing client (on xp pro) I get a "Access
Denied" error message. I have turned off the firewalls and can ping the host
computer from the command prompt. WinFax acts like it is pinging it, but
then comes up with a "Access Denied". Symantec is of no assistance - they
don't support it, but they don't say it can't be done. Can anyone tell me
all the steps and settings that my network should be in order for this to
work? I have already tried Symantecs on site help pages, to no avail. I'm
either not understanding something or I'm not doing it in the right order,
something, but I don't believe that it won't work, just have to have
everything right. Anyone know? Thanks

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Does each computer have its own modem installed
with a phone line connection? Also, XP Home Edition
is limited to a 5 connection limit....XP Pro has a 10
connection limit.

How to set up Fax Sharing with WinFax PRO 10
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...ew=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=&seg=

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------------

:

| Can anyone tell me how to configure Winfax Pro 10.04 for fax sharing. I've
| done all the things from the symantec site, but they say they will not
| support their product on networks with proxy servers, firewalls, routers or
| switches. Well, then they don't support their product at all. Here is my
| set-up and issue:
|
| 11 computers (mix of xp home, xp pro, and 2000 pro), peer-to-peer ethernet
| network, Netgear switch, D-link Router (as device on the network) access to
| the wireless Internet, and one switch port being used by a netgear access
| point. The Winfax Pro host computer is a xp home computer. The host
| computer seems to be working fine, can send and receive faxes just fine.
| When I try to set up the fax sharing client (on xp pro) I get a "Access
| Denied" error message. I have turned off the firewalls and can ping the host
| computer from the command prompt. WinFax acts like it is pinging it, but
| then comes up with a "Access Denied". Symantec is of no assistance - they
| don't support it, but they don't say it can't be done. Can anyone tell me
| all the steps and settings that my network should be in order for this to
| work? I have already tried Symantecs on site help pages, to no avail. I'm
| either not understanding something or I'm not doing it in the right order,
| something, but I don't believe that it won't work, just have to have
| everything right. Anyone know? Thanks

Lem

Need said:
[...]

Actually, Symantec says that it supports "Fax Sharing or Message Sharing only if
both the Fax Sharing or Message Sharing host and client computers reside in the
same network segment. They must not be separated by routers, gateways or
bridges." As I understand it, that just means that the host and clients must all
be on the same subnet, e.g., 192.168.1.xxx. Symantec also says it recommends
using static IP addresses (all on the same subnet).

Have you seen all 3 of these Symantec articles: "How to troubleshoot Fax Sharing
or Message Sharing problems " http://tinyurl.com/jcoxj and "How to set up a
TCP/IP network for Fax and Message Sharing" http://tinyurl.com/oj4ut and "Fax
Sharing client cannot connect to host after installing Windows XP SP2 "
http://tinyurl.com/7kflk ?

Note that the last article (that tells you to install WFP 10.04 for use with XP
sp2) also leads to another article that says not to install WFP 10.04 in a
network with mixed OS's: "Installing the WinFax PRO 10.04 update"
http://tinyurl.com/myy4e Although Symantec says that a "non-mixed" network may
"include a Windows NT or Windows 2000 computer, another Windows XP computer, or
some combination of these" I wouldn't be surprised if the presence of XP Home,
with its "simple file sharing" security model, gives WFP some heartburn.

All of which gives the following more weight: the bad news, from a year-ago-post
in this newsgroup:

From: Hal Hostetler [MVP-S/U] - view profile
Date: Wed, Jul 20 2005 9:59 pm
Email: "Hal Hostetler [MVP-S/U]"
Groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax

Unfortunately, WinFax Pro is a Symantec product and it has the further
unfortunate characteristics of (a) not working correctly under WindowsXP and
(b) making a total mess out of the Fax service that comes with XP. If you
must use WinFax Pro, I suggest you look for version 9.x which, from many
reports posted to this group, was the LAST version of WinFax that worked
correctly with WindowsXP. As you've probably noticed, Symantec Customer
Service on their WinFax Product is all but non-existent

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- (e-mail address removed)

JJ

there is a WinFax forum at
http://www.getfaxing.com/cgi-bin/ib312/ikonboard.cgi
lots of WinFax Fax Sharing issues posted there