Conditional Processing

Reaction score
I am new to Access and having trouble knowing how to proceed. I know what I want to do, I'm just not sure of the best way to go about it.

My tables are all in Oracle and I link to them using an ODBC data source. This works fine so far.

Here is what I want to do.

User double clicks on a form/report/macro/switchboard option/... and is asked to enter a parcel number (text string like: FM-1989), then click on OK.

The string is tested to see if it appears in Table A.

If it is NOT found in Table A, an error message is displayed indicating the parcel number is incorrect, user should try another number.

If the string is found in table A, check to see if the string exists in the parcel_num field in Table B.

If the string exists in Table B, go to that record in a form, which allows updates to Table B.

If the string is not found in Table B, create a new record (in Table B) with the text string in the parcel_num field.

Table A contains a list of valid parcel numbers. So far there are almost 5,000 of them so I don't like the idea of having the users select from a list.

Table B contains attributes about the parcel (is it waterfront, have there been any improvements, can it be accessed by road, etc...). This data is being collected for individual parcels and entered into the table. (Key is the parcel_num.)

Detailed ideas on the most efficient/easiest way to develop this are welcome.

Thanks for any help offered.

Ask a Question