conditional formatting

nishapurohit

Hello!!

I need help with adding conditional formatting in excel (2003) file.

I'd like the formula to be something like this

IF Cell E2 = Yes; make Cell F2 required cell <in red>

If this doable? Please help!!!!!! :mad:

Thank you,

Nish

Paul B

nishapurohit, in f2, conditional formatting, formula is =$E$2="yes" and pick
what you want the format to be
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"nishapurohit" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Yes, this is possible.

1. Select Cell F2
2. Select Conditional Formatting
3. In the first drop-down box, change "Cell Value Is" to "Formula Is"
4. Enter the formula: =E2="Yes"
5. Select the format you want (red)
6. Click OK

HTH,
Elkar

Select F2 --> "Format" --> "Conditional Formatting" --> select "Formula Is"
from the drop-down list --> enter =E2="Yes" in the formula bar --> click
on the "Format' button --> under "Patterns" select the color you want for
shading F2 if the condition is met --> "OK"

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran

nishapurohit

Thanks to all that replied to my post!!

I was looking to make F2 field a required field, i.e <red>

If E2 = "yes" then make F2 a required field.

I am going to email this spreadsheet to users, if the user select "yes
to question asked in E column, I would like them to provide detaile
information in column F.

Does that make sense?

Thank you again for your help! this forum rocks

How about using a formula-conditional formatting combination?

In F2, enter the formula,

=IF(E2="Yes","Provide detailed info in this cell","")

Also setup conditional formatting for F2 as outlined in my previous
response, but with the following formula

=AND(E2="Yes",F2="Provide detailed info in this cell")

F2 will remain empty and uncolored (?!) initially. If the user enters "Yes"
in E2, F2 will diplay "Provide detailed info in this cell" and the CF will
color the cell. When the user enters any info in F2, the CF restores the
cell to the default color.

PS: Please note that the formula (and conditional formatting) can execute
only once; when the user makes any entry in F2, the formula gets permanently
deleted (and overwritten), and as a consequence the CF gets incapacitated.

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran