conditional format cut& paste change? 2007 vs. 2003--relative formulas?

MDBJ

aack.. I went to 2007.. so far, ok- one I can't solve probelem.

I have a cell with conditional formatting.. in part it reads
=VALUE(RIGHT(FE2,4)) < 1-FE$84

time was (2003) if I selected that cell, copied-- went to another cell,
paste special, formats

then the 'fe' '2' 'FE' but NOT the '84' parts above would change relative
to the new location
so if I went one cell down, one cell right I'd get
=VALUE(RIGHT(FF3,4)) < 1-FF$84

now when I do this same paste special, I'm getting all original values-- as
if they all had $ in front of them

is this an option I'm missing? is it because it's an upgraded XLS? what is
my solution?

Jim Rech

Not to worry. MS redesigned the conditional formatting dialog box a bit but
the formula works the same. (Test it). In the new dialog there is a new
"applies to" refedit control that shows the range that the current cell was
a part of when the conditional formatting was applied. It might say
=$H$4:$H$5 if those were the two cells selected. Even if you're now in cell
H5 the conditional formatting formula is in reference to the first cell, H4.

I'm not thrilled by this change myself and I wish MS at least put out an
article on this. If so, I haven't found it yet.

--
Jim