Computer dead help needed please

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You could go for a 450 watt Corsair PSU or some other make.

However if you are going to upgrade your graphics card or cpu at some time for a little extra umph then I would go for a higher powered psu. The one below would suit you well at the moment. Has free postage aswell. It is also a modular cable set up so less mess with cables.

http://www.dabs.com/products/corsai...-eps12v--ps-2--modular-power-supply-4B0M.html

happywave.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you Abarbarian and V_R... I'm feeling better already, because I chanced to take a look at some Corsair PSUs a while ago and my next question was going to be what anyone thought of them :D

A quick bite of lunch and then I think we will pop down to Novatech (got to go into Cardiff to pick some meds up from the Vet anyway... for one of the moggies, not me!! ;) )

I shall report back later on.

Thank you again, all help has been much appreciated :thumb: :wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It probably is the power supply but first try disconnecting all power leads from the PSU (the leads to the optical drives, HDD's etc) except the main multicore connector and the 4-pin 12V connector (usually 2 yellow and 2 black wires) to the motherboard then try switching on.

You may also want to pull off the front case power switch connector from the motherboard and try shorting the two pins on the board with a small screwdriver to start the machine. This would verify the switch is ok or faulty.

I can confirm that the PSU's PC World sell, Jeantech, are very good indeed, I've never had a problem with one, unlike most other makes. Good value too.

And Corsair PSU's are amongst the best, just about everybody on this forum uses them :thumb: Including me, I have two.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Flopps, and thank you for the suggestions... yikes, I didn't know it was possible to "hot wire" a computer! I know I'm being lame, but think I lack the gumption to try that.:blush: I appreciate the suggestion though.

Around the time you posted, we were in the Novatech store in Cardiff.

I have purchased a 650W unit, this one. It was not expensive, although the reason I decided to give it a try, has more to do with the fact that the PC I'm using to write this, is a Novatech. Same age as the other one, also crunching 24/7, very quiet, and it has not given any cause for complaint... so far. Obviously, having said that, I am tempting fate, lol. But, hopefully, worth a try.

Any reports of a loud sonic boom heard in the S Wales region, this weekend, don't worry, it'll probably be me!! :lol:

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Hi Flopps, and thank you for the suggestions... yikes, I didn't know it was possible to "hot wire" a computer! I know I'm being lame, but think I lack the gumption to try that.:blush:!

And I lack the eye site to see them small pins...Tis an old trick though..PSU looks good, at the end of the day, go for something you have used and know.YOu have Novatech which has obviously served you well, so I'd stick with it..:thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Thank you Mucks - the bit that has been puzzling me is that the circular air thingy (that looks like an electric hob) is facing downwards currently. Some of the ones pictured are the other way up, so guessing that I shouldn't plump for one of those, otherwise the warm air will be hitting the top of the tower... have I interpreted correctly? Otherwise, I think I "get it" now :)

Been looking for an excuse to prowl around our new Novatech in Cardiff... woo hoo!!

Hope you're enjoying Aion :thumb:
:lol:

Turn

it

up

the

other

way

or

up-side-down

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It lives!!

I'm happy to say that my PC is up and running again and yes, I did carry out the surgery myself, ably assisted by Terry ... who's vice-like grip was needed to help free some particularly stubborn connectors, when my own pinkies lacked sufficient oomph!

I would like to say a very special "thank you" to Itsme, who talked me through it, which was unbelievably kind and very much appreciated.:nod: I have previously only ventured "under the hood" to clean inside the case. You all assured me how easy it was to change a PSU, but I kept envisaging a pair of smoking slippers, vacated by me, after getting my wires crossed and blowing myself up! :lol:

But yay!!! I am a very happy cat, who couldn't believe it when the fans and beeps came to life when I pressed the power button. What a great feeling..... okay, I know that it was just a minor job in the grand order of things, but I got such a kick out of it. :D

Thank you all for the advice - and Viv, you are a star!!
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
:D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
That is wonderful news!:D

I am glad everything sorted out perfectly for you.
nod.gif

Viv is a great guy and someone you can trust and rely on for any help.:thumb:

Now the important thing for you to do is to:

BACK UP!
user.gif

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
That is wonderful news!:D

I am glad everything sorted out perfectly for you.
nod.gif

Viv is a great guy and someone you can trust and rely on for any help.:thumb:

Now the important thing for you to do is to:

BACK UP!
user.gif

NOT the car! NOT the car! Quad means the PC TC THE PC.. :lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
:lol: :lol:

Thank you guys :bow: I'm hearing the message loud and clear, will be more diligent about backing up now. I guess it helps to learn a wee lesson sometimes. Things don't always go wrong gradually, do they. :rolleyes:

Ask a Question