computer browser service for a laptop

NGReader

Most of my workstations and laptops have the local computer browser service
off. I have a notebook user that when he connects to the VPN via a sprint
broadband card cant see any of the contents of his mapped drives. I was
wondering if enabling the local computer browser might help his cause?

Any suggestions welcom

Thanks

Craig

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

NGReader said:
Most of my workstations and laptops have the local computer browser
service off. I have a notebook user that when he connects to the VPN
via a sprint broadband card cant see any of the contents of his
mapped drives. I was wondering if enabling the local computer
browser might help his cause?
Any suggestions welcom

Thanks

Craig

No, this won't have anything to do with it. The computer browser service
would only affect his computer's ability to participate in browser elections
on his network. Something else is wrong - the VPN tunnel, whatnot. See if he
has the same problem when using VPN over a regular wired Ethernet
connection.

NGReader

Thanks, No problems over a wired ethernet connect to VPN.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

NGReader said:
Thanks, No problems over a wired ethernet connect to VPN.

OK. Then there's an issue with the Sprint wireless.
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
No, this won't have anything to do with it. The computer browser
service would only affect his computer's ability to participate in
browser elections on his network. Something else is wrong - the VPN
tunnel, whatnot. See if he has the same problem when using VPN over
a regular wired Ethernet connection.

smlunatick

Thanks, No problems over a wired ethernet connect to VPN.

The problem is not with any of the services or PCs. When you are
using VPN tunnels, you somehow need to have the "NetBIOS name
resolution" enabled in order for the "remote client" (VPN client) to
be able to see the "mapped" (aka shared) drive. Depends on the VPN
"end-point" and the VPN "client" software.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

smlunatick said:
Thanks, No problems over a wired ethernet connect to VPN.

"Lanwench [MVP -
Exchange]"<[email protected]>
wrote in message

[...]

Or DNS. :)
But name resolution isn't the problem, if I read his post correctly.