Compro IP70 Network Camera

Review Compro IP70 Network Camera

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian submitted a new article:

Compro IP70 Network Camera - Compro IP70 Network Camera

Introduction

The Compro IP70 security camera is a static high-resolution day and night camera, intended for indoor usage with a network connection. It is suited to applications such as home/office security, where an area can be monitored using a networked camera that can interface to a NAS storage device or provide remote streaming. As you may expect, if the camera is connected to an internet facing router, you can configure it to provide remove access – allowing...​

Read more about this article...

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Looks pretty darn impresive on the picture output side.

If you had one of these set up with the wireless usb dongle and a sd card would it work when the pc was shut down and your wireless router left on ?

or do you have to leave the pc on all the time ?

:confused:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, you don't need a PC always online to keep it running - just if you want to use it as a storage device. :) I was pretty impressed with the image quality too (although there are better cameras for image quality) :thumb:

BTW, I should probably re-word the article threads - as it sounds like I'm demanding comments
laughingsmiley.gif
. They are all automatically created as discussion threads at the same time as the article.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
So if I had a IP70 and fitted it with a usb wi-fi and a sd card, a wi-fi router and set everything up on my pc. I could then turn of the pc and the wi-fi router and the IP70 would still be operational.
Also if I left the wi-fi router on I could then have the IP70 send messages to a phone or remote pc.
Are my assumptions correct.
user.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You'd need to get the specific Compro wireless usb stick (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/220848 - £20), but it should work as you described - although you'd need to configure your router to allow traffic and then ideally set up a free DDNS service to easily view it from another PC or smartphone. It connects directly to the net, rather than using the PC as a proxy.

Going back to the microSD card - I'm not sure if it will record video or just snapshots (I'd assume video) on it where then there is no external storage, as it's not intended to be used that way... but I can check for you if you want?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've just had an e-mail from Compro to confirm that it can indeed record full video to the microSD card :).

Reaction score
Well, I'm glad they email you, at least.

their support site is incredibly slow in answering queries and very poor. I'm returning my camera. Just doesn't do what you hope it will do.

For example,
1) Did you test audio? Nothing on mine.
2) Comproview link - did this work for you? Nothing on mine.
3) more than 1 event (via web interface), e.g. email and record video on movement. Does this work for you? Only one from me.

I bought this camera on the strength of this review.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, audio and comproview link worked fine - it sounds like there could be a fault if that doesn't work. I'd try getting in touch with them and see what could be the problem (after firmware etc... has been updated), and return it for a replacement if it's faulty.

edit: I did some googling and found you've already updated the firmware from your other forum post (here) - this was a week before our review even went live, so I think it may have been another that you initially read (not that it matters).

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
You'd need to get the specific Compro wireless usb stick (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/220848 - £20), but it should work as you described - although you'd need to configure your router to allow traffic and then ideally set up a free DDNS service to easily view it from another PC or smartphone. It connects directly to the net, rather than using the PC as a proxy.

Going back to the microSD card - I'm not sure if it will record video or just snapshots (I'd assume video) on it where then there is no external storage, as it's not intended to be used that way... but I can check for you if you want?

Thanks for the info Ian. If the pictures are as clear as the review indicated and it does all that I enquired about then this a pretty darn good piece of kit. You could protect your home or business and you would only need to leave your router and camera powered up both of which could easily be hidden. :thumb:

Ask a Question