CompactFlash Partition Switching

G

Hello,
We are running XPe on a Geode with CompactFlash a drive and EWF enabled. We
run in a custom shell with FAT filesystem. The CompactFlash has two
partitions on it, C and D, where C is the active partition with our image and
is EWF protected. D is the same size as C, but not protected.

We want to be able to reformat the D drive, copy a fresh sealed XPe image
onto the D drive, and switch the boot.ini to make the D drive the active XPe
image. All this from our running shell on the C drive. Has anyone done this
before? Does anyone have any tips on how to do this without losing our minds?

Thanks!

K

KM

MJ,

I have done similar scenario a couple of years ago and it was on Geode based platform (XPe) :)
Although Write Filter software was not EWF but it wouldn't matter as it was similar to EWF RAM Reg.

What are your problems with the approach? Hope you use EWF RAM Reg mode.
You basically outlined all the proper steps including modifications in boot.ini.

IN my case, though, when I had to boot the image from second partition I did not have to have the Write Filter running on that
image. But I tried that for testing/demo purposes and it worked without any issues (again, similar to EWF RAM Reg so no "config
partitions").

G

KM,
We have a couple issues with the approach. First, we don't know of a way to
programmatically reformat the second partition. Second, do all of these
partitions have to be made active and bootprepped each time we reformat and
switch? Last, how do we make EWF work on either partition? Do we need two
different image loads, one for the D drive and one for the C drive?

Thanks for all your help
MJ

K

KM

MJ,
programmatically reformat the second partition.

Wel... On Windows Desktop this is not a problem at all :)
You will haev a bunch of way to implement the format including jsut a create process with "format /Y".
The easiet way may be in invoking FormatEx API. Read more info here: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/fmifs.shtml
Second, do all of these
switch?

No. you just have to have one active system partitoin where you store your boot.ini along with ntldr and ntdetect. Then on the same
or any other partition you can have an XPe image that is properly set up about the target device setting. You will just be
responsible for setting up proper ARC paths in the boot.ini.
Also, if you want all the images to be running from corresponding partitions and thinking they run from C:\, you can prepopulate
MountedDevices key.
Read more here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/community/community/tips/xp/rtpartin/default.aspx
Last, how do we make EWF work on either partition?

This is EWF RAM Reg mode, right? See here how easy you can set up EWF RAM Reg setting in your image:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/xpehelp/html/xegrfConfiguringEWFRAMRegOverlays.asp
Basically, just overwrite the ArcName value under [HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ewf\Parameters\Protected\Volume0]. key
Do we need two different image loads, one for the D drive and one for the C drive?

Yes, you do unless you go with the tip the link to I gave you above. Then you can have two images that are based on one image that
runs from C:\. The only differences would be in MountedDevices key setup and EWF RAM Reg protectd partition setting.

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

MJ,

If your second partition is not bootable then you will have to manually provide valid geometry that will be stored in BPB of
partition.
With format use switches:
/T:tracks Specifies the number of tracks per disk side.
/N:sectors Specifies the number of sectors per track.

If you want to use same image then you will have to make an application that will after completing format and copy mount offline
registry edit entries that Konstantin mentioned and unload registry again. Then you should change boot.ini

Regards,
Slobodan

KM said:
MJ,

You will haev a bunch of way to implement the format including jsut a create process with "format /Y".
The easiet way may be in invoking FormatEx API. Read more info here: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/fmifs.shtml
Second, do all of these
switch?

No. you just have to have one active system partitoin where you store your boot.ini along with ntldr and ntdetect. Then on the same
or any other partition you can have an XPe image that is properly set up about the target device setting. You will just be
Also, if you want all the images to be running from corresponding partitions and thinking they run from C:\, you can prepopulate
MountedDevices key.
Read more here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/community/community/tips/xp/rtpartin/default.aspx

This is EWF RAM Reg mode, right? See here how easy you can set up EWF RAM Reg setting in your image:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/xpehelp/html/xegrfConfiguringEWFRAMRegOverlays.asp
Basically, just overwrite the ArcName value under [HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ewf\Parameters\Protected\Volume0]. key
Do we need two different image loads, one for the D drive and one for the C drive?

Yes, you do unless you go with the tip the link to I gave you above. Then you can have two images that are based on one image that
runs from C:\. The only differences would be in MountedDevices key setup and EWF RAM Reg protectd partition setting.

K

KM

I agree with Slobodan comment.

And just to mention that all these steps could be done from a batch file:
formatting - invoking format[ex] /y,
load/modify registry - reg.exe,
copy/replace a prepared boot.ini.

--
Regards,
KM, BSquare Corp.

MJ,

If your second partition is not bootable then you will have to manually provide valid geometry that will be stored in BPB of
partition.

If you want to use same image then you will have to make an application that will after completing format and copy mount offline
registry edit entries that Konstantin mentioned and unload registry again. Then you should change boot.ini

Regards,
Slobodan

KM said:
MJ,

Second, do all of these
switch?

MountedDevices key.

--
Regards,
KM, BSquare Corp.
:

MJ,

I have done similar scenario a couple of years ago and it was on Geode based platform (XPe) :)
Although Write Filter software was not EWF but it wouldn't matter as it was similar to EWF RAM Reg.

You basically outlined all the proper steps including modifications in boot.ini.

IN my case, though, when I had to boot the image from second partition I did not have to have the Write Filter running on that
image. But I tried that for testing/demo purposes and it worked without any issues (again, similar to EWF RAM Reg so no "config
partitions").

--
Regards,
KM, BSquare Corp.

Hello,

Thanks!

G

Great information everyone, I really appreciate it.

We're using EWF RAM. What's the difference between that and EWF RAM Reg?

KM said:

--
Regards,
KM, BSquare Corp.

MJ,

partition.

Regards,
Slobodan

KM said:
MJ,

Second, do all of these
switch?

MountedDevices key.

--
Regards,
KM, BSquare Corp.

:

MJ,

partitions").

--
Regards,
KM, BSquare Corp.

Hello,

Thanks!

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Mj,
Reg is short for registry. This mean that EWF is configured trough registry entries instead of trough small hidden config partition.

Also in reg mode ewfmgr X: - disable do not work and you must use ewfmgr X: -commitanddisable

Regards,
Slobodan

MJ said:

KM said:

--
Regards,
KM, BSquare Corp.

MJ,

partition.

Regards,
Slobodan

MJ,

Second, do all of these
switch?

No. you just have to have one active system partitoin where you store your boot.ini along with ntldr and ntdetect. Then on the
same
MountedDevices key.

Yes, you do unless you go with the tip the link to I gave you above. Then you can have two images that are based on one
that

--
Regards,
KM, BSquare Corp.

:

MJ,

IN my case, though, when I had to boot the image from second partition I did not have to have the Write Filter running
on
that
image. But I tried that for testing/demo purposes and it worked without any issues (again, similar to EWF RAM Reg so no
"config
partitions").

--
Regards,
KM, BSquare Corp.

Hello,

Thanks!

K

KM

MJ,

This link will lead you to the documentation on the topic:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/xpehelp/html/xegrfEWFRAMRegOverlays.asp

--
Regards,
KM, BSquare Corp.

KM said:

--
Regards,
KM, BSquare Corp.

MJ,

partition.

Regards,
Slobodan

MJ,

Second, do all of these
switch?

No. you just have to have one active system partitoin where you store your boot.ini along with ntldr and ntdetect. Then on the
same
MountedDevices key.

Yes, you do unless you go with the tip the link to I gave you above. Then you can have two images that are based on one
that

--
Regards,
KM, BSquare Corp.

:

MJ,

IN my case, though, when I had to boot the image from second partition I did not have to have the Write Filter running
on
that
image. But I tried that for testing/demo purposes and it worked without any issues (again, similar to EWF RAM Reg so no
"config
partitions").

--
Regards,
KM, BSquare Corp.

Hello,

Thanks!

Ask a Question