Command Prompt

Jeff

How do you set up the command prompt to show just C:\> ? Everytime I open
it it is setup as C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff> and I'm not sure if that
is why when I try to use commands i.e .exe it says "Path not Valid" or am I
missing something?
Thanks,
Jeff

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Open the Command Prompt and type: CD \ , and hit enter.
( Note the space between CD and the \ ).

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------------

:

| How do you set up the command prompt to show just C:\> ? Everytime I open
| it it is setup as C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff> and I'm not sure if that
| is why when I try to use commands i.e .exe it says "Path not Valid" or am I
| missing something?
| Thanks,
| Jeff

Jeff

Thank You Carey,
Will I have to change directory everytime? Or is there a way to
set it up?
Jeff

GTS

Save a shortcut to cmd.exe. Right click the shortcut and select properties.
In the Start in: box enter C:\ to make that the default. Note however, that
won't change your Path or resolve your concern. Since you didn't say what
commands you're having a problem with, it's difficult to advise further.

Dave Patrick

How silly.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

| Open the Command Prompt and type: CD \ , and hit enter.
| ( Note the space between CD and the \ ).
|
| --
| Carey Frisch
| Microsoft MVP
| Windows - Shell/User
| Microsoft Community Newsgroups

Dave Patrick

Take a look at the 'Start In:' parameter for the shortcut you used to invoke
%comspec%

By default it is %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

Change it to C:\

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Thank You Carey,
| Will I have to change directory everytime? Or is there a way to
| set it up?
| Jeff

Wesley Vogel

Try this...

Right click the Desktop | New | Shortcut |
Paste this in the location box:

%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe

Click Next | Click Finish |

Right click the new cmd.exe shortcut | Properties |
In the Start in box replace %windir% with C:\ |
Click Apply | Click OK

Double click the new shortcut and you should see.............

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>

You can also change the Start in for the cmd shortcut located under
Accessories on the Start Menu.

HOW TO: Set the Command Processor Appearance in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309019

Set the Command prompt default path to a certain directory
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autoruncmd.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Jeff

Wesley,
Thanks,
Exactly what I wanted-works great THANKS:)
Jeff

Jeff said:
How do you set up the command prompt to show just C:\> ? Everytime I
open it it is setup as C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff> and I'm not sure
if that is why when I try to use commands i.e .exe it says "Path not
Valid" or am I missing something?
Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff

Figured it out even better-just right clicked on command prompt and changed
it in the start box to C:\--works great,thanks again

Jeff said:
How do you set up the command prompt to show just C:\> ? Everytime I
open it it is setup as C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff> and I'm not sure
if that is why when I try to use commands i.e .exe it says "Path not
Valid" or am I missing something?
Thanks,
Jeff

Wesley Vogel

That was also in my post. ;-)

Jeff said:
How do you set up the command prompt to show just C:\> ? Everytime I
open it it is setup as C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff> and I'm not sure
if that is why when I try to use commands i.e .exe it says "Path not
Valid" or am I missing something?
Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff

Thanks Wes,
On another note;is there a general KB that discusses command prompt
commands and syntaxes for XP? I'm very used to dealing with computers using
the command prompt way;that's all I do at work all day;commands. I barely
used XP till I finally just bought a home pc. So I definitely a "newbie" at
XP. If you could point me to a good starting point-like commands and
syntaxes I'de appreciate it. Thanks Again,
Jeff
That was also in my post. ;-)

Wesley Vogel said:
[...]

In Jeff <[email protected]> hunted and pecked:
How do you set up the command prompt to show just C:\> ? Everytime I
open it it is setup as C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff> and I'm not
sure
if that is why when I try to use commands i.e .exe it says "Path not
Valid" or am I missing something?
Thanks,
Jeff

David Candy

Try help. Urrrrh, lets see, what could you try - "command line"

How to lose a war in Iraq
http://webdiary.com.au/cms/?q=node/1335#comment-48641
Jeff said:
Thanks Wes,
On another note;is there a general KB that discusses command prompt
commands and syntaxes for XP? I'm very used to dealing with computers using
the command prompt way;that's all I do at work all day;commands. I barely
used XP till I finally just bought a home pc. So I definitely a "newbie" at
XP. If you could point me to a good starting point-like commands and
syntaxes I'de appreciate it. Thanks Again,
Jeff
That was also in my post. ;-)

Jeff said:
[...]

or command prompt

Jeff said:
Thanks Wes,
On another note;is there a general KB that discusses command prompt
commands and syntaxes for XP? I'm very used to dealing with computers using
the command prompt way;that's all I do at work all day;commands. I barely
used XP till I finally just bought a home pc. So I definitely a "newbie" at
XP. If you could point me to a good starting point-like commands and
syntaxes I'de appreciate it. Thanks Again,
Jeff
That was also in my post. ;-)

Jeff said:
[...]

No need to be condescending

Jeff said:
Thanks Wes,
On another note;is there a general KB that discusses command prompt
commands and syntaxes for XP? I'm very used to dealing with computers
using
the command prompt way;that's all I do at work all day;commands. I barely
used XP till I finally just bought a home pc. So I definitely a "newbie"
at
XP. If you could point me to a good starting point-like commands and
syntaxes I'de appreciate it. Thanks Again,
Jeff
That was also in my post. ;-)

Jeff said:
[...]

I was being kind. You should have seen my post before I edited it.

Jeff said:
Thanks Wes,
On another note;is there a general KB that discusses command prompt
commands and syntaxes for XP? I'm very used to dealing with computers
using
the command prompt way;that's all I do at work all day;commands. I barely
used XP till I finally just bought a home pc. So I definitely a "newbie"
at
XP. If you could point me to a good starting point-like commands and
syntaxes I'de appreciate it. Thanks Again,
Jeff
Wesley Vogel said:
That was also in my post. ;-)

[...]

Open a command prompt, type: help and hit Enter.

Type a command followed by /? I.e. ipconfig /? or ipconfig/?

Open a command prompt, type: cmd /? and hit Enter.

Command-line reference

Start | Run | Copy and paste the following line:

hh ntcmds.chm

Click OK.
---

Command-line reference A-Z

Start | Run | Copy and paste the following line:

hh ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm

Click OK.

I have a shortcut to
%windir%\hh.exe ms-its:c:\Windows\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm
on my Start Menu.
---

New ways to do familiar tasks

Start | Run | Copy and paste the following line:

hh ntcmds.chm::/dos_diffs.htm

Click OK.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------
Jeff said:
Thanks Wes,
On another note;is there a general KB that discusses command prompt
commands and syntaxes for XP? I'm very used to dealing with computers
using
the command prompt way;that's all I do at work all day;commands. I barely
used XP till I finally just bought a home pc. So I definitely a "newbie"
at
XP. If you could point me to a good starting point-like commands and
syntaxes I'de appreciate it. Thanks Again,
Jeff
Wesley Vogel said:
That was also in my post. ;-)

[...]

Thanks again, got it. won't bother you guys again

Jeff said:
[...]

Not a bother. These newsgroups are for asking questions.

Some folks just get a little upset when they find that they can take the
poster's key words from a post, paste them into the Search box in Help and
Support and find the answers right there.

The only dumb question is, the one you don't ask.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

[...]

Thanks again, I am a "newbie'at home pc's but it does seem I upset the
other "gentleman". I do appereciate the help and by pointing out how to find
help ;pardon the play on words; you did help me out. i am on more
comfortable ground using the command prompt way because that's how i did
things at work,and am trying to figure out how to do stuff with XP Pro,that
i never had time to do before. so now that I know where to find stuff
now;it's good to know that theyre are people that do help.Thanks,
Jeff