ComboBox DropDown does not display list item

Problem: If I click to display list items in ComboBox, all list items are not
visible to select. However, if I select one of them, then I can see it on
ComboBox.

This problem only happens in Windows XP. In Windows 2000 it does work fine.
I can work around using DrawMode.OwnerDrawFixed and OnDrawItem event. But, I
don't want to add them to all of my source codes.

Environment: Windows XP ServicePack2, Visual studio.net 2003 with .NET
Framework 1.1

Source Code:
private void LoadAlgorithm()
{
CBX_Algorithm.DisplayMember = "Algorithm";

CBX_Algorithm.Items.Add("ABC");
CBX_Algorithm.Items.Add("CBC");
CBX_Algorithm.Items.Add("ABA");
CBX_Algorithm.Items.Add("AAA");
CBX_Algorithm.SelectedIndex = 3;
CBX_Algorithm.DrawMode = DrawMode.Normal;
}

Thank you very much.

I have the same problem on a couple of new systems (Dell GX270). They are
both at the latest rev of everything. I don't have the problem on my system,
which is a different model (Dell GX240). I have the same version of the
framework as they do, and we all have XP with all the fixin's.

I can build a test app on my system and it works fine, but if they execute
the same EXE on their sysem the dropdown list is blank. Other than not
displaying the values in a visible manner, the combobox is fully functional.
The problem also occurs with listview.

HELP!

David

Do you have McAfee? try:

2989coder said:
Well ... I right-click the McAffee icon next to
the clock and select "VirusScan Console...".

After that I get a window with a number of tasks.
I select the "Buffer Overflow Protection" task
and click the "Stop" icon in the toolbar (the 3rd icon).

Eric

I have no answers to this but I am having the same problem.

I have XP sp2 VS.Net 2003 Framework 1.1

Any ComboBox I use will display only the first item. The drop down displays
blank for all other items. I can scroll through the list to show the other
items but they will not display in the dropdown.

I have tried manual entry, like below, loading from an ArrayList and binding
to a DataTable. All produce the same result.

"DropDown list is invisible in Windows XP" <DropDown list is invisible in
Windows (e-mail address removed)> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I have been going nuts trying to figure this out. I have the exact same
problem, not just with listboxes, but also with combo boxes and the prompt
and button text of message boxes. I had tried everything I could think of,
and nothing helped. I disabled the "Buffer Overflow Protection" and voila,
everything is good to go.

I am running Virusscan Enterprise 8.0.

This really works! However, we cannot force our clients to have this
anti-virus feature to be disabled. There must be a permanent resolution for
this. Does anybody here has already posted such bug to any Microsoft
development team? If none, how can I raise this simple-yet-mind-boggling
issue? Please I need your help.