Code 164

Reaction score
Hi Folks, i'm looking for a little advice.
Tonight i downloaded the latest version of MBAM, and when i tried to install, windows told me i could not create any more threads on this system and gave a code 164.
I still have over 180Gb space on my hard drive and am a little confused as to why this is happening. I thought maybe i had downloaded too much crap or something so i went to control to uninstall some maybe unwanted stuff. Windows keeps telling me i cannot do this or i have already uninstalled this.It then asks if would like to remove this from the list. I hit yes and it doesn't remove it.
Having said all that i downloaded i-tunes the other day to register my new i-phone.
I decided to uninstall everything related to apple but i cannot get rid of it.
Any suggestions??

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Zed :wave: I can't answer your main Error Code 164 question... (being a cat of little brain ;) ) but regarding the Apple apps that you want to remove, it would seem that there is a recommended "order" for their removal. According to the Apple website it is:

1. iTunes
  2. QuickTime
  3. Apple Software Update
  4. Apple Mobile Device Support
  5. Bonjour
  6. Apple Application Support (iTunes 9 or later)
Hope it helps just a wee bit. Good luck with the main problem :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've never seen that 164 error before - can you take a screenshot of the messagebox that shows it so I can take a closer look please :)

Reaction score
Hi Ian,
Thanks for your reply. For some reason things appear to have somehow rectified theirselves. LAst night i couldn't get any any microsoft updates but today it seems to have updated somehow:confused:.
Last night i spent some time cleaning up in safe mode and dumped some stuff i didn't really need and the problem is now gone. What i have noticed is that all my previous system restore points have disappeared except for one which was done yesterday at 17:27. I wasn't even using the pc at this time.
Now i'm a little unsure what to do next but i would like to make a Vista back up CD. I don't know how to do this either so it's study time.....again,lol.
Regarding the code 164 issue, it hasn't cropped up yet but when it does i will send ya screenshot.
Here's a screen shot i got online today of microsoft error codes with 164 and its message.
Any suggestions on the back up cd would be appreciated.

Attachments

• code 164.jpg
    code 164.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 154
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Hi Zed :wave: I can't answer your main Error Code 164 question... (being a cat of little brain ;) ) but regarding the Apple apps that you want to remove, it would seem that there is a recommended "order" for their removal. According to the Apple website it is:

1. iTunes
  2. QuickTime
  3. Apple Software Update
  5. Bonjour

Hi TC....thanks for the tip....i'm giving it a try right now. I will let ya know how it goes.
nod.gif

Reaction score
Hi folks....me again. I just thought i would report back with some scan results i got from the latest version of MBAM......see the screeenshot. I still have to see how things go but it seems like everything is okay.....so far.

Attachments

• MBAM results.jpg
    MBAM results.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 138
Reaction score
Taffycat said:

1. iTunes
  2. QuickTime
  3. Apple Software Update
  5. Bonjour

Hi TC....that tip worked a treat. Balance has been restored and my pcis absolutely flying again....trouble is my i-phone still has to be registered....might try again tomorrow,lol. I'm knackered now. Thanks again:)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
captain zed said:
Now i'm a little unsure what to do next but i would like to make a Vista back up CD. I don't know how to do this either so it's study time.....again,lol.
Regarding the code 164 issue, it hasn't cropped up yet but when it does i will send ya screenshot.
Here's a screen shot i got online today of microsoft error codes with 164 and its message.
Any suggestions on the back up cd would be appreciated.

That's good news that the error has gone :) It may just have been a one-off.

What sort of backup CD do you want, one that will re-install a clean version of Vista or one that is a complete image of your hard drive (i.e. includes your software, documents, mail etc...).

It might be worth making a new thread on that and then we can help out :D

Ask a Question