CMOS checksum error?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
when i boot up my computer it gives me this message
CMOS checksum error- defaults loaded
what does it mean by that? it gets stuck at the boot screen and i cant go into bios either.
can anyone shead any light on this?

Reaction score
ummmmmmmmmmm

have u tried to reset your bios?
i think u mite have to physically move a plastic cover from one pin to another.

this will reset your bios. i beleive this should do it! then u have to press f1 or something when u first start up your pc.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
thanks guys, ok i already changed the battery and reset the CMOS using a jumper thing, but it still does the same thing, how should i go about with checking everything else? since the computer wont boot up i cant really scan for viruses... so should i get a new power supply? any ideas?

Reaction score
Alf said:
thanks guys, ok i already changed the battery and reset the CMOS using a jumper thing, but it still does the same thing, how should i go about with checking everything else? since the computer wont boot up i cant really scan for viruses... so should i get a new power supply? any ideas?

i woulndt bother with a power supply wont make any difference.

how abt taking out the battery for a hour or two? then putting it back in!?

Reaction score
Hi Alf

You definatly need a new CMOS battery, make sure you get a new one, rather than from off a market stall, you dont really know how long they have had them.:)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
thanks yall, the my computer is working now expect one thing... Now my PS2 mouse port refuses to work!!! i have used two other mouses but my little arrow thing wont move! the port it self doesnt appear to have any type of damage...do you think its my motherboard??

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Also, when i log in there is a message saying that my Anti virus protection has failed to load. is this a concern? Since my computer isnt hooked up the internet but i do transfer files to it via usb flash drive. the most recent one being Style Xp.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Ah! Scratch that, a quick system restore and my mouse is back on track. although my Anti virus protection isnt working even though i reinstalled it. i am currently using Defender Pro Anti Virus.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Yep, but that dident do anything, so i just used a diffrent antivirus

Ask a Question