Cmos battery question

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I was just wondering whether anyone could tell me if laptop cmos batteries are of a "standard" size please?

I was thinking of replacing the one in our most ancient laptops, but I've (temporarily, I hope) mislaid the manual:rolleyes: When I tried checking around on the Net, I could find batteries for powering it, readily enough, but not the cmos type specific to the PC (which is an Advent 340S2 ... otherwise known as a small, weighty, paving slab :p ... but great for a spot of experimentation.)

Meanwhile, I'm continuing my hunt for that darned manual...:blush:

Thank you for looking :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, the laptop takes a standard CR2025 battery (flat 2p-like lithium, costs a couple of quid max). Access to the battery is from underneath the laptop. First remove the CPU exhaust cover flap, next remove the CPU exhaust itself. This should give you access to a gold coloured flap under which you'll find the battery. :thumb:

Here's the online version of the service manual - easier than rummaging through cupboards :D

http://ftp.acomp.hu/pub/gericom/Notebook/Manuals/Service/Service Manuals/340S2 Service Manual.zip

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh great stuff! Thank you Ian. I had a feeling they were a standard type, but didn't like to rely on my own judgement ;)

Thank you also, for the link :thumb: That is going to save me from getting crushed beneath the avalanche, which is sure to fall out of the cupboard I was going to look into!! :lol:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm, I've only ever seen cr2023 batteries in PCs ... I do stress, PCs.

;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Well I've been taking a look around and see that there are a few "choices" even amongst the CR2025's, such as wired, barrel-shaped and the coin-shaped ones. I've a feeling I might need to actually look inside.

Also, I chanced to find the little hand manual that came with the PC originally (it was right in front of me on the bookshelves!) it is of absolutely no help battery-wise, but it surprised me a bit, to find that it speaks of DIMM rather than RAM... well, I did say it was old.

Can't quite decide what to do now, because I'm wondering about the condition of the main battery too, as it has been sitting idle for years. I think I should probably look at that first, just in case it has leaked, or anything (no outward signs, but...)

I don't suppose it would be safe to remove the battery and just run it on mains power? With our Fujitsu, you can, (and I do. I've never ever used it's battery pack.) But then again, I don't believe it's possible with the Rock, which we've always used with the battery in-situ... unless anyone knows differently, of course? Decisions, decisions :rolleyes:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Well, now you mentioned it, I have seen and had to get the soldering iron out to replace them 'barrel' batteries ... that was a few good years ago though. ;)

Yep, take a look at what you have, that be the easiest way to insure you get the correct one. :thumb:

Laptop battery or no battery ... try it and see. :D

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Laptop battery or no battery ... try it and see.

Really? I wouldn't be in danger of blowing us all up, or anything? That's the only thing which has prevented me from trying before :p When the Rock battery "died" I asked them whether I could use it without the battery (because it was always used with mains power) but they wouldn't tell me. The replacement was £100, or thereabouts.... so it crossed my mind that that might be why, they didn't say it would be okay. Hmm.. call me suspicious ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Did you know ...

There are a whole host of "equipment" that is, wait for it ... unfit for it's purpose ... and it should be illegal to sell it.

Printers are one ... well the ones that need a PC ... you never get a cable to actually connect it to a PC, therefore, sorry, in MY book, it ain't fit for the purpose.

Oh, my new DSLR, when I get it, comes under the same category ... unfit for it's purpose ... you do NOT get any way to store a pic on the camera ... the "card" is a separate item. WTF, now that is what I call ... taking the P. ;)

If your laptop is "designed" to run off mains, then having a battery insitu should not matter. ;)

:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Yep, the laptop takes a standard CR2025 battery (flat 2p-like lithium, costs a couple of quid max). Access to the battery is from underneath the laptop. First remove the CPU exhaust cover flap, next remove the CPU exhaust itself. This should give you access to a gold coloured flap under which you'll find the battery. :thumb:

Here's the online version of the service manual - easier than rummaging through cupboards :D

http://ftp.acomp.hu/pub/gericom/Notebook/Manuals/Service/Service Manuals/340S2 Service Manual.zip

Thank you for the good directions Ian, I located it easily, and whoopee, it is the coin-type battery, no wires or solders (as the manual hinted at) I'll get one tomorrow and pop it in, then I can play :D

I've just uploaded a pic of the innards to the gallery HERE the reason being, that I noticed a mark on the base of the fan unit, which corresponds to another mark, right in the centre of the Processor (it should show-up reasonably clearly if you click to enlarge the pic.) So, should I be thinking of a dab of thermal paste perhaps? (I've seen others mention that, so I'm trying to sound intelligent :p )

Thank you for looking
:D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for that great link Ian, it is really informative, I appreciate it :thumb: :D

Ask a Question