Clustering on Windows 2003

JC

We are configuring an 8 node cluster for Exchange 2003.
We are running Windows 2003 on Dell servers backed into an
EMC Symmetrix SAN. We have configured 96 drives for the
cluster (each Exchange database and logs will have it's
own disk). Many times, while booting one of the servers,
it will want to run a "checkdisk.exe" against the drives.
There is a 10 second delay before the checkdisk runs (96
drives x 10s =960 seconds or 16 minutes) and then the
actual checkdisk itself makes the reboot process a
perpetual exercise in patience. Is there any way to speed
this process up??

Thank you for any recomendations you may have.

Benny Fu

Dear Joe,

Thank you for your posting.

When you run the Chkdsk.exe utility to troubleshoot and fix hard disk
problems, you may experience long delays while this utility verifies the
hard disk partition. To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service
pack for Microsoft Windows 2000.

To resolve this issue, install the version of Chkdsk.exe that is included
with Microsoft Windows XP. This version of Chkdsk.exe increases performance
and works with the Microsoft Windows 2000 operating system.

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp4/default.asp

For the detailed information, you can check the following article:

329394 Long Delays Occur When You Run Chkdsk.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=329394

More Information:
===============

176970 How to Run the CHKDSK /F Command on a Shared Cluster Disk
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=176970

272244 Location of the Chkdsk Results for Windows Clustering Resources
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=272244

Hope it is helpful.

Thanks and have a good day!

Regards,