Closing the Microsoft News Groups

gordo

I have installed NNTPBridge. It is titled "127.0.0.1 and the only set of
groups has something to do with MSDN. However, I cannot find the way to
download and get subscribed to the groups that are equivalent to the
Microsoft
Communities newsgroups. Does anyone know if there is a simple procedure
somewhere that explains just how to do this?

Thanks,

Gordo

R. C. White

Hi, pip22.

I'm no techie, so I can't explain it. But BOTH new NNTP Bridges use the
127.0.0.1 address. One, the "Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge", uses NNTP Port
119 at that address, which it refers to as "Localhost". The other, the
"Microsoft Answers NNTP Bridge", uses NNTP Port 120 at the same address,
which it calls simply "127.0.0.1" by default.

They may be confusing to start, but both bridges are working for me. (After
a year of frustrating beta-testing.) (And I STILL prefer good old NNTP
Newsgroups!)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Tim Slattery

R. C. White said:
Hi, pip22.

I'm no techie, so I can't explain it. But BOTH new NNTP Bridges use the
127.0.0.1 address.

Of course they do. The bridge talks to the forums, and makes the
result available to your newsreader. To do that it has to look like an
NNTP server to your newsreader. Since it lives on your machine, your
newsreader needs to look for it at the 127.0.0.1 address.
One, the "Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge", uses NNTP Port
119 at that address, which it refers to as "Localhost". The other, the
"Microsoft Answers NNTP Bridge", uses NNTP Port 120 at the same address,
which it calls simply "127.0.0.1" by default.

Port 119 is standard for NNTP servers. I couldn't say why they use 120
for the "Answers" thing, I guess they need to keep them separate.
"localhost" means the same thing as IP address 127.0.0.1, they both
address your computer.
(And I STILL prefer good old NNTP Newsgroups!)

Amen!

Poutnik

Port 119 is standard for NNTP servers. I couldn't say why they use 120
for the "Answers" thing, I guess they need to keep them separate.
"localhost" means the same thing as IP address 127.0.0.1, they both
address your computer.
It is easy - forum and answer bridges
are 2 different local nntp servers.

They cannot listen nntp requests at the same port.

Poutnik

...... And I STILL prefer good old NNTP > Newsgroups!)
So do I.
Furthermore NNTP brisges seem to want
HTML-aware usenet clients like ThunderBird.

TB is IMHO far from being so good as NNTP dedicated clients
like my favorite MPGravity.

But Gravity unfortunately does not consider HTML code funny.
And, currently it decodes UTF8 subjects, but not UTF8 posters.

GS

(And I STILL prefer good old NNTP Newsgroups!)

in some way I also prefer NNTP but then the social forums are relatively
free of spam while nntp groups getting more and more spam taking up
bandwidth and extra effort to filter them

Poutnik

in some way I also prefer NNTP but then the social forums are relatively
free of spam while nntp groups getting more and more spam taking up
bandwidth and extra effort to filter them

But if you are focused
to automation of filtering spam + not interesting topics...
....then NNTP beats forums with hands in pockets.

If MS had created a good nntp client
they would have noticed.

and bandwidth wasted by loading tons
of forum bells and whistles stuff ...

Tim Slattery

gordo said:
I have installed NNTPBridge. It is titled "127.0.0.1 and the only set of
groups has something to do with MSDN. However, I cannot find the way to
download and get subscribed to the groups that are equivalent to the
Microsoft
Communities newsgroups. Does anyone know if there is a simple procedure
somewhere that explains just how to do this?

Jochen Kalmbach, an MVP, developed an NNTP bridge for the MSDN Forums
(as an alternative to Microsoft's bridge):

http://blog.kalmbach-software.de/2010/05/26/ann-community-forums-nntp-bridge/
http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/

It seems to have significant advantages over Microsoft's stuff (a
single "bridge" for both "social" and "answers" forums, for one). The
early reviews are good.

GS

you're right. however, ms does not provide nor do they seem interested
providing such free good nttp reader.

It does take fair amount of effort to filter until someone comes up with
some intelligent AI topic bases adaptive nntp reader.

Poutnik

who says one should use MS NNTP reader ?

it always seemed to me
it was much easier in NNTP reader
to see only what I am interested to see
and
to hide what I am not interested to see.

Good readers ( OE nor TB are not good readers )
offer plenty of score and rule options.

But even of not using any,
nothing in forums beats simple and efficient
"W" and "I" key pressing.

Fortunately, the new MS forums
are readable through NNTP bridge.