Cloning Old Win 98 Computer to a New Xp

CKD

The small buisness i work for has an old 1999 Dell Computer using
Windows 98SE OS. We are going to buy a New computer using XP OS but we
can not lose the special construction programs & data that is on our
old machine. We have found about half of the special programs &
utilities (hard copies) that run on the Win_98se machine. >Is there a
way to save & utilize the contents of the old Dell machine into a new
computer running Windows XP? >If we installed Windows 98 OS on the
new machine would we be able to use the hard drive of the old machine?
I'm willing to buy software, hardware, or both in order to save our
old computer's programs & data. I need advise & detailed instructions.

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

Data can be copied, programs must be installed from the original
installation media. Other than swapping hard drives and upgrading the
existing Win98 installation, there is little else you will be able to do for
this migration.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Bob Harris

With Win 98 you can proabbaly just move the hard drive to a new PC as the
"master" disk on the first disk controller, and there is a good chance that
it will work. Or, you could replace the motherboard in the old PC, which is
almost the same as getting a new PC (bigger/faster everything, except the
disk you are keeping). You could also add a second disk (a "slave") to the
new PC or new motherboard, if you need more space.

If you choose to upgrade the old to XP, there are several potential
problems: (1) The hardware may not be 100% compatible with XP. Note that
Microsoft offer a free upgrad advisor that will scan your PC for potential
incompatibilities with XP, and suggest how to fix them. (2) Even if it
meets the minimum requirements for XP, everything will run slower under XP
than under 98. (3) Some of the programs may not be compatible with XP.
Patches/updates may or may not be available. You need to check with the
vendor of each program to determine XP compatibility. I had problems with
antivirus software and CD-writing software and Outlook 97. I fixed those
problems by buying a new version of Norton Antivirus, a new version of Easy
CD Creator, and using the free Outlook Express that comes with XP.

If you choose to move the disk under 98, then upgrade the new PC to XP there
are the same problems, except for the hardware.

Note that XP runs better on any PC if it has more RAM. It will work with
128 Meg, barely, but 256 Meg is much better, and 512 Meg is better yet.
Beyond that I have noticed little difference, except for a digital image
editting program I have, which needs 1 Gig of RAM to run well. If you stick
with the old PC, add RAM, up to its motherboard limit, before upgrading to
XP. Note that some old motherboards can only handle 256 to 512 Meg. Check
before you invest in RAM. If you get a new PC or new motherboard, get at
least 512 Meg of RAM, preferrably more.

If you choose to upgrade the old PC to XP, then move the disk to a new PC,
you will need to do a "repair" installation of XP to accomodate the hardware
changes. For this you will need a retail XP CD, not an OEM CD. So, if you
are buying a copy of XP, get the retail upgrade version, but be sure that
you have a 98 CD available, in case it asks for proof of a previous
qualifying operating system. Note that "repair" installations sometimes
fail, and then you have to do a clean install, which starts with formatting
the hard drive. So, have a good backup (disk image) in case something goes
wrong. I recommend Acronis True Image for this, but Norton GHOST is also a
good choice.

Overall, I would suggest that you buy a new version of the construction
program and do a "clean install" of XP on a new PC. As for the data on the
old PC, that can be trasnferred to the new PC in many ways, including
floppies, ZIP, CD, USB external drive, disk image mounted as if it were a
hard drive (via GHOST or True Image), parallel port connect with associated
software, or mounting the old drive as a "slave" within the new PC.

CKD

Thank you for your quick response!You (in this newsgroup) who provide
these valuable information resources should be rewarded some day for
your generous efforts! :)Thank you (all) for your help & advise!
Truteck

"Bob Harris" <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com
wrote in message With Win 98 you can proabbaly just move the hard drive to a new PC
as the > "master" disk on the first disk controller, and there is a
good chance that > it will work. Or, you could replace the
motherboard in the old PC, which is > almost the same as getting a new
PC (bigger/faster everything, except the > disk you are keeping). You
could also add a second disk (a "slave") to the > new PC or new
motherboard, if you need more space.potential > problems: (1) The hardware may not be 100% compatible
with XP. Note that > Microsoft offer a free upgrad advisor that will
scan your PC for potential > incompatibilities with XP, and suggest
how to fix them. (2) Even if it > meets the minimum requirements for
XP, everything will run slower under XP > than under 98. (3) Some of
the programs may not be compatible with XP. > Patches/updates may or
may not be available. You need to check with the > vendor of each
program to determine XP compatibility. I had problems with >
antivirus software and CD-writing software and Outlook 97. I fixed
those > problems by buying a new version of Norton Antivirus, a new
version of Easy > CD Creator, and using the free Outlook Express that
comes with XP.work with > 128 Meg, barely, but 256 Meg is much better, and 512 Meg
is better yet. > Beyond that I have noticed little difference, except
for a digital image > editting program I have, which needs 1 Gig of
RAM to run well. If you stick > with the old PC, add RAM, up to its
motherboard limit, before upgrading to > XP. Note that some old
motherboards can only handle 256 to 512 Meg. Check > before you invest
in RAM. If you get a new PC or new motherboard, get at > least 512
Meg of RAM, preferrably more.new PC, > you will need to do a "repair" installation of XP to
accomodate the hardware > changes. For this you will need a retail XP
CD, not an OEM CD. So, if you > are buying a copy of XP, get the
retail upgrade version, but be sure that > you have a 98 CD available,
in case it asks for proof of a previous > qualifying operating system.
Note that "repair" installations sometimes > fail, and then you have
to do a clean install, which starts with formatting > the hard drive.
So, have a good backup (disk image) in case something goes > wrong. I
recommend Acronis True Image for this, but Norton GHOST is also a >
good choice.construction > program and do a "clean install" of XP on a new PC. As
for the data on the > old PC, that can be trasnferred to the new PC in
many ways, including > floppies, ZIP, CD, USB external drive, disk
image mounted as if it were a > hard drive (via GHOST or True Image),
parallel port connect with associated > software, or mounting the old
drive as a "slave" within the new PC.
wrote in message > news:[email protected]...
Truteck