Clog vs printhead burn - how to distinguish for sure?

DK

I am having problems with Canon ip4000. When plain Cyan is printed,
it produces very visible striping. When Nozzle Check pattern is printed,
some striping in both of the "6C" is evident (always close to the
bottom of the color band). Similarly, the black text that (I think) is
formed from mixing of all four colors (the "6C, 6M, 6Y, 6BK" on
the nozzle check patterns) is showing up as ~ magenta in the
bottom 20-25% of the text. Top part is always normal gray/black
and the small bars on either side of the text are appear evenly
black/gray.

Photographs still seem to print OK - I guess the deficiency is
much harder to notice in mixed colors.

I've tried:
- lots of cleaning/deep cleaning cycles;
- changing cyan cartridge;
- replacing cyan cartridge with windex/isopropanol mix;
- cleaning printhead with warm water;
- cleaning printhead with pure isopropanol.

None thus far made a difference in print patterns. The
problem is NOT getting worse as far as I can tell (at least 1.5
months).

At this point I wonder if it's even worth trying to clean
up printhead any further? Is there a definitive test that can
help distinguishing between some burned out contacts in
printhead vs clogged printhead/color channels?

Thanks,

Dima

phineaspaine

[...]

Hi Dima:

First, the ip4000 is a 5-cartridge printer (BCI-3eBK, BCI-6Bk / C /
Y / M), so there are two black cartridges in the unit.

Re: cyan - sounds like damaged nozzles after the cleaning you've
already done... either physical damage, or burnt out. If you already
haven't done so, for a stubborn clog, you may have to soak your
printhead in isopropyl alcohol overnight. Remove the rubber seals
around the input screens, and pour isopropyl alcohol in this area as
well to cover the screens.

Re: black - The ip4000 does not use process black in producing the
nozzle check (nor does it when printing 100% black text on plain
paper). The nozzle check tests each cartridge individually. It may
be possible cross-contamination between colours (pigment black/ dye
magenta) within the printhead, or a low quality ink (perhaps even dye
ink) in the "supposed to be" pigment BCI-3eBk black (as it could
appear as magenta when "thinned") if you're using generic non-OEM
cartridges. The BCI-3eBk is the ink used in plain paper (text)
printing, whereas the BCI-6Bk is used on photographic papers.

Is there any way that you can take a high quality (photo) scan of the
nozzle check sheet, upload it to a website service (e.g. geocities)
and post a link to it?

How many prints do you have on this printhead / printer? See this
post on how to get a page count from your ip4000:
http://groups.google.ca/group/comp....be69e/da43be38e9937aa0?hl=en#da43be38e9937aa0

Because of the cyan issue (probable damage), it sounds like it may be
time for a new printhead - worth it on this model as you'll save the
cost many times over using high quality non-OEM ink carts. I had to
replace the printhead on one of my ip5000s after ~8300 pages due to
wear & tear, and it still prints great photos, and generates perfect
nozzle check sheets.

FYI, here's a link to the service manual for the ip4000. You might
want to take a copy for yourself:
http://www.timtaylor.net/tech/iP4000_Service_Manual.pdf

The ip4000 printhead is part no. QY6-0049 and should cost you about us
$38 on eBay for a new one.

Phineas

Burt

[...]

Also - check out the price directly from Canon - there is a sales number on
their web site. I was surprised to see that they were cheaper than some
vendors for printheads.

DK

On Feb 20, 10:03=A0pm, (e-mail address removed) (DK) wrote:

Is there any way that you can take a high quality (photo) scan of the
nozzle check sheet, upload it to a website service (e.g. geocities)
and post a link to it?

Sure. Here is the URL:
http://www.tempfiles.net/download/200802/4717/ip4000.html

I also uploaded it to alt.binaries.test and alt.binaries.test2

The scanner is not calibrtated and the printour is on a plain
laser paper, so colors are a bit off but you can see missing
lines in Cyan band and imperfect black lettering.
How many prints do you have on this printhead / printer?

Not that much, really. 514 pages, according to the
EEPROM printout.
FYI, here's a link to the service manual for the ip4000. You might
want to take a copy for yourself:
http://www.timtaylor.net/tech/iP4000_Service_Manual.pdf

Thanks! Downloaded.
The ip4000 printhead is part no. QY6-0049 and should cost you about us
$38 on eBay for a new one.

I really don't have a problem with buying a new printhead - just hate
discarding the old one if it is, in fact, still good.

So, is there a test that can distinguish between the two possibilities?
(Physical damage vs clog).

Dima

Tony

Sure. Here is the URL:
http://www.tempfiles.net/download/200802/4717/ip4000.html

I also uploaded it to alt.binaries.test and alt.binaries.test2

The scanner is not calibrtated and the printour is on a plain
laser paper, so colors are a bit off but you can see missing
lines in Cyan band and imperfect black lettering.

Not that much, really. 514 pages, according to the
EEPROM printout.

Thanks! Downloaded.

I really don't have a problem with buying a new printhead - just hate
discarding the old one if it is, in fact, still good.

So, is there a test that can distinguish between the two possibilities?
(Physical damage vs clog).

Dima

I really don't think such a test exists. If you run several head cleans and the
result of each is a slight improvement (or even a variation) then some at least
of the nozzles are probably clogged. If any number of head cleans does not
change the behaviour then probably the printhead has burned out. This is not
empirical but is a reasonable guide.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

measekite

Are you using and have you always used Canon OEM ink?