Clipboard....go away forever!!!!!(Excel 2002)

Maxwell-5000

Hello, as you can see by the title, I am pretty annoyed at excel
copy/paste clipbaord that keeps popping up everytime I copy a cell.

BEFORE YOU ANSWER...please do this quick easy exersice in EXCEL 2002.
You need to do this to understand what I am talking about....so try i
first. Trust me

Do the following in Excel 2002:

1.) On a blank excel sheet or what ever you have open, do a cop
(ctrl+C) on lets say cell A1 or whatever cell you want.

2.) Ok now you should see the cell highlited around the boarder
right??

3.) OK now on the same cell do another (ctrl+C) and you should see
clipbaord pop up. (the annoying part)

4.) On this clipboard you will see some options on the bottom of th
clipbaord that "supposedly" says to unclick or whatever to stop showin
the clipboard.

5.) do what it says to stop showing clipboard in the future.

OK HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART...
You think it worked???? Well go back the repeat step 1 ~3 above.

Most likely if you did a ctrl-C twice, the darn clipboard popped bac
up.

If you got it so that it does not pop up again, please show me how yo
did it!!!

Please do not answer without actually testing out if the clipbaord wil
show or not going forward.

Thanks!!

Gord Dibben

Maxwell

Followed your instructions to the letter.

Do not get the clipboard popping up when I have the option "collect without
showing clipboard" checked.

This option must be the only one checked, otherwise CTRL + C twice will show
the clipboard.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

George Nicholson

4.) On this clipboard you will see some options on the bottom of the
clipbaord that "supposedly" says to unclick or whatever to stop showing
the clipboard.

Yes, and the options *specifically* say that if you want to see the
clipboard again to press Ctrl+C twice (or use Edit>Office Clipboard). So,
don't press Ctrl+C twice and you won't see it (or do it slower - I find that
the 2 times have to be *very* quick to trigger the Clipboard pane). Or close
the Task Pane.

I had to reactivate mine in order to follow your instructions. I made it go
way a year ago (deselected all of those options) and haven't seen it since
until today. I'm running Excel 2002 SP3. If your behaviour is different and
you haven't installed all Service Packs, you might start by visiting
OfficeUpdate.

HTH,
--
George Nicholson

Remove 'Junk' from return address.

"Maxwell-5000" <[email protected]>

Harlan Grove

Maxwell-5000 wrote...
If you got it so that it does not pop up again, please show me how you
did it!!!

Please do not answer without actually testing out if the clipbaord will
show or not going forward.

The following archived thread offers an approach based on editing the
Registry, but it doesn't seem to work.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/msg/7a017680dc3cc66b?dmode=source&hl=en

(or http://makeashorterlink.com/?W52E22EBB ).

There doesn't seem to be a foolproof way of eliminating it. The next
best thing may be moving it so as little as possible of it appears.
First, undock it - click on the task pane's top boarder just to the
right of the word Clipboard and drag it to the middle of your screen.
Then move your mouse pointer to its bottom edge so that the mouse
pointer becomes a double-ended arrow and drag the bottom edge up to
shrink it vertically. Do the same with the right edge, dragging it left
to shrink it horizontally. Then click on its top boarder again and drag
it to the bottom-right corner of your screen. It'll partially obscure
your SCRL, OVR and whatever the indicator to the right in the Status
Bar, any toolbar docked at the bottom of the application window, the
right end of the horizontal scroll bar, or the bottom-right most cells,
depending on how you have Excel configured. It'd still be there, but
much less annoying.

Dave Peterson

I use xl2003, but I think the options are the same:

I showed that clipboard toolbar (edit|office clipboard)

I clicked on the Options button
I removed all the checkmarks from all the options except for:
"collect without showing office clipboard"

I closed the clipboard.

I could ctrl-c as much as I wanted as quickly as I wanted and the clipboard
didn't show up.

Did that work for you when you tested it?

Harlan Grove

Dave Peterson wrote...
I use xl2003, but I think the options are the same: ....

I could ctrl-c as much as I wanted as quickly as I wanted and the clipboard
didn't show up.

In XL2002, pressing [Ctrl]+C twice in rapid succession still brings up
the Task Pain. Maybe MSFT fixed this in XL2003.

Really out to be a way to disable *ALL* 'helpful' features in Excel.

Earl Kiosterud

Gord,

My Excel 2002 SP3, on Windows XP SP2, with only "Collect without showing
clipboard," caused the
task pane to reappear when I did Copy twice in somewhat rapid succession.
This
was also true of the Copy button on the toobar, or using the old Ctrl-Insert
shortcut.

With all the junk that pops up in my face as I try to work, this is the
least bothersome one. Probably the most distressing is when I'm typing or
clicking, and a message comes in from some other program just as I'm about
to click something or press Enter, for example, and my click or keys apply
to that program. That seems to suggest that Windows is not serious
multitasking software.

Harlan Grove

Earl Kiosterud wrote...
With all the junk that pops up in my face as I try to work, this is the
least bothersome one. Probably the most distressing is when I'm typing or
clicking, and a message comes in from some other program just as I'm about
to click something or press Enter, for example, and my click or keys apply
to that program. That seems to suggest that Windows is not serious
multitasking software.

This is only Microsoft's fault to the extent they provided other
programmers a means of having their (the other programmers') programs
take focus without providing documentation explaining why doing so is a
VERY BAD IDEA. It's the programmers of the other software you use,
probably written inhouse, who are to blame. I'm also afflicted by
poorly designed inhouse software that assumes it's the only task
running, but pretty much all the commercial and outside open source
software I use stays in the background and at most flashes its icon in
the task bar.

George Nicholson

In XL2002, pressing [Ctrl]+C twice in rapid succession still brings up
the Task Pain. Maybe MSFT fixed this in XL2003.

hmmm, FWIW, I'm running XL2002 and Ctrl+C twice only has an effect if my
taskpane is already open (with all task pane options unchecked). It does not
open the Task pane unless it was already open.

HTH,
--
George Nicholson

Remove 'Junk' from return address.

Harlan Grove said:
Dave Peterson wrote...
I use xl2003, but I think the options are the same: ...

I could ctrl-c as much as I wanted as quickly as I wanted and the
clipboard
didn't show up.

In XL2002, pressing [Ctrl]+C twice in rapid succession still brings up
the Task Pain. Maybe MSFT fixed this in XL2003.

Really out to be a way to disable *ALL* 'helpful' features in Excel.

Harlan Grove

George Nicholson wrote...
In XL2002, pressing [Ctrl]+C twice in rapid succession still brings up
the Task Pain. Maybe MSFT fixed this in XL2003.

hmmm, FWIW, I'm running XL2002 and Ctrl+C twice only has an effect if my
taskpane is already open (with all task pane options unchecked). It does not
open the Task pane unless it was already open.

One of the Wonders of Office. Maybe there's an obscure Registry setting
that differs between out systems.